sonar?

curlrap

I received bassproshop gift certifcates from Santa this Cristmas and would like to purchase a sonar with a gps. My price range is @400$ but i don't have any experiance with these new machines. Any ideas or brand preference would be appreciated. How much are the mapping chip?

lots of units in this pricerange, i have a combo humminbird that does okay, if not amazing.

the newest version of hotmaps and similar run 150-200. an idea might be to buy a 2008 version or something from ebay that will be a quarter of the price - still the same lake you know??

happy shopping

Go for a Hummingbird with dual beam.

Wide for shalow, narrow for depth.

You did not specify for what kind of boat are you planing to use the sonar.

If is for a boat, canoe, kayak, or a tube.

You can find a customized sonar for each mentioned craft.

The trasducer also varies a lot based on craft type.

If you have to mark tons of "honey holes" look for one with gps - waypoints.

Edited by Gogu

if you don't mind me asking, is the gift certificate enough to justify paying the higher price at BPS?

I would suggest giving Josh @ Angling Outfitters in Woodstock a chance before you decide. He will be able to help you decide which brand and model based on your fishing needs. His pricing, knowledge along with support will blow you away that despite your BPS certificate, depending on value, you may be better off buying from him.

He can be reached at 519-539-5494, and don't be afraid to tell him Gavin told you to call him ;) He's doing all the electronics on my boat this spring!

Cheers,

Gman

Edited by Gman

if you don't mind me asking, is the gift certificate enough to justify paying the higher price at BPS?

I would suggest giving Josh @ Angling Outfitters in Woodstock a chance before you decide. He will be able to help you decide which brand and model based on your fishing needs. His pricing, knowledge along with support will blow you away that despite your BPS certificate, depending on value, you may be better off buying from him.

He can be reached at 519-539-5494, and don't be afraid to tell him Gavin told you to call him ;) He's doing all the electronics on my boat this spring!

Cheers,

Gman

Its actually a large amount (500$), but i don't won't spent the whole thing on a unit. The Hummingbirds look to have a large range of models and price ranges. I will be buying from BPS because of the amount of the gift certificate.