Question for the CRAPPIE Fishermen/woman out there...

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

So I went to BPS today (man, I LOVE THAT PLACE!) I picked up a few Crappie Jigs... and I'm thinking of 2 possible ways of rigging this...

1) Straight mainline to jig...

OR...

2) With a float.

Now, here's what I am thinking... I should be able to get away with both tactics, but I'm thinking this jig was meant for a specific type of setup?? I dunno :dunno:

HERE is what it looks like.

Any insight on this particular jig would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

A2F

A buddy I fish with kills perch and crappie with those. And he fishes them as a cast and retrieve without a float. He has the touch for it. I do not. Or rather I just find it much easier under a float. When we fish together it is a friendly competition to see who puts more fish in the boat. When the water is warmer he tends to outfish me. But when the water is cold I tend to do better under the float.

Both work. Just pick which you are most comfortable with and good luck.

Guest skeeter99
Hey Folks,

So I went to BPS today (man, I LOVE THAT PLACE!) I picked up a few Crappie Jigs... and I'm thinking of 2 possible ways of rigging this...

1) Straight mainline to jig...

OR...

2) With a float.

Now, here's what I am thinking... I should be able to get away with both tactics, but I'm thinking this jig was meant for a specific type of setup?? I dunno :dunno:

HERE is what it looks like.

Any insight on this particular jig would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

A2F

hopefully you got the chartreuse head pink body (wink!! wink!!!) absolutely deadly in summer and winter in the kawarthas

use a slip float you can cast and reel in and jig with one setup

I share your thoughts of Bass Pro. I love it too. I also got some of those slap daddies but haven's used them yet. The only time I wouldn't use the float is when I'm using a spinner. Otherwise, I use a slip float. Sometimes twitching it helps to get hits unless using live bait. If you don't use a float with those light jigs, don't plan on getting a long cast unless using very light line. I'd definately recommend the float.