Ice Fishing Lake Rosseau

Sudzy

Hey Sudzy...never saw this post until now. Welcome aboard, btw. Rosseau is a great fishery in the winter for lakers...a few people know where to find walleye, but sadly, I'm not one of them :(

Anywhooo....here's the best advice I have for you regarding Rosseau trout:

1.Silver and blue, be it spoons or tube jigs --- white tube jigs get the exception here...they're a classic

2. 30-60 FOW is where I have most of my success...and, like many lake trout waters, if you can find a quick transition between these two depths, so much the better.

3. Some years the live bait tip-up (shiners) takes all the fish, other years its all on the jigging.

4. Don't get sucked into fishing where all the crowds are...the lake has all kinds of structure...picking up a chart is a very good idea. You can pretty much walk out from a variety of public access places (Windermere, Port Carling, Town of Rosseau to name a few) and within 20 minutes be away from the crowds and sitting on prime structure. ****BE CAREFUL OF THE ICE THOUGH*** don't be going out into unknown, untravelled ice without checking as you go, and without the proper safety equipment.

5. My personal favourite jigging technique is to let the lure you're using fall to the bottom on controlled slack. If nothing intercepts it...leave it on bottom for a solid minute. Slowly lift...and flop back down for another minute. If nothing hits...start jigging as normal....but always be ready for something to happen on that first shot down the hole

Ok...lots of generic laker tips here...but...Rosseau lakers aren't much different...go get 'em! :Gonefishing:

Awesome thanks.

I have never been ice fishing (amazing I know) so looking forward to giving it a try.

I have a place to stay right on the lake so should be good. Any advice on where to find a good map?

OOOhhh...place to stay, eh? nice! Hmmm...tryin' to think of where to get a map....the chart we have at the cottage has been around too long for me to remember from whence it came. Google navigational charts + Rosseau, or Muskoka Lakes...should be easy. Trakmaps.com is good actually, now that I think of it. Also A-1 Maps in Mississauga...just don't know if they do lake charts, but considering the amount of obscure topo's they have, I don't see why not.

Never ice fished?!??!?! Hoooo son! You's about to get hooked! :lol:

I have ice fished there a few times and turned back a couple as well due to Ice conditions. The lake doesn't seem to freeze up all that quick and a layer of slush under the snow is there, advice is to be careful.

As far as the fishing look for again 40-60 feet with a drop off, I have had luck with minnow and a white jig head!! Good luck!!