Ice Rod Saver

Fishnwire

Another poster was asking about losing tip-ups down the hole when a fish hits. It got me thinking of a little technique I've been using for a few years to keep my jigging rods from going down the hole. I take a couple of 14 inch 1x1's in my pail along with my rods, but sometimes I forget them and just use whatever sticks I can find on the shoreline. Whenever I'm not jigging and I want to set the rod down on the ice I place the stick across the hole, perpenticular to the rod so that the line falls on the opposite side of the stick to the rod. See the crude picture below...

IMG_1724.JPG

The simple way is works is that it effectively cuts the size the area the rod can go down by half or more and also the rod is likely to get hung up somehow on the wood as it's going down the hole. I haven't lost a rod since I've been doing it and lost two before I started. It's so simple and works so well I would think someone would have come up with it long ago and that it would be standard practice.

It's one of the few decent ideas I've ever had...too bad you can't patent a 1x1.

Edited by Fishnwire