Spanish River area

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

anybody do any river fishing in the area? i'd actually be more interested in cohos and steelhead but i certainly don't know the area as a salmonid hotbed...any suggestions about that?

A bit further away, but in the grand scheme of things not that far, is the Mississagi river.

Just west of Blind River on the south side of the hwy there's a waterfall that slows the fish migration.

It's on reserve land so you need a reserve lisence. You can pick one up right on 17 though and they're cheap.

Very good spot but it can be popular...

Salmon and trout do go up the Spanish but it's a big river to find them in. You may have better luck in the tribs. I see guys fishing them in the Sable River at Massey and Birch Creek near Webbwood. When I go looking for salmon from shore, I usually hit the causeway at the mouth of Lauzon Creek at Algoma Mills and pitch spoons or body baits. You need a good wind though, anywhere from south to west. It's shallow there and if the water is flat, you won't catch any, if you have big waves coming, it seems they'll hit almost anything. I've not seen cohos in this area in years and chinook numbers and sizes have been down the last few years. There's also the possibility of running into a stray Atlantic that LSSU has been stocking at the Soo in fair numbers. The Mississauga gives up good numbers of pinks but not many chinooks. Lots of variety there, bass, walleye, pike, channel cats, sturgeon etc. Just a thought, it seems every once in a while, someone gets a salmon off the breakwall at the municipal marina at Spanish along with the usual North Channel variety. Good luck to you.

Edited by Bob