Few questions about trolling motors.

Aaron`

I have recently purchased a 16 foot fiberglass boat and I wanted to install a trolling motor. It would be kind of tight to add a trolling motor to the front of the boat and a bit messy so my question to you great guys:

Would a trolling motor work efficiently at the back of the boat beside the main motor?

I've heard Minn-Kotas are the best so I'm looking into one, but how much thrust would I need to push my boat around nicely (40-60 pounds?)

Where should I buy batteries and a charger for my trolling motor?

I'm kind of new to boating so I appreciate all the information guys. Thanks alot

well im a relatively new boater too, but i know what im talkin about! lol. you should get a 40 pound thrust minnkota with a deep cycle battery (a normal car battery will turn to junk a whole lot faster than a deep cycle).... just when your motoring across the lake be sure to pull your motor in unlike "worm dangler" (a fellow OFC'er) who forgot to and smacked it off a rock and it went flying and was never able to retrieve it.... lmao!

but a 60 pound would be a good investment too.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

An electric motor will "pull" a boat(bow mount) much better than "push a boat(transom mount)

40 lb thrust might be a bit small for a 16 foot boat, the largest thrust before going to 2 batteries(24 volts) is 55 lbs.

I have a 55 lb on my 16 foot aluminum, its ok on flat water but much wind or current and it struggles...

An electric motor will "pull" a boat(bow mount) much better than "push a boat(transom mount)

40 lb thrust might be a bit small for a 16 foot boat, the largest thrust before going to 2 batteries(24 volts) is 55 lbs.

I have a 55 lb on my 16 foot aluminum, its ok on flat water but much wind or current and it struggles...

Yep I have a 55 too and have issues in the wind. I would at least go with a 55 for that.

I had a 45 for my 14'er and it was OK