Quick JP Reprt from Friday 16th

dsn

I have been dying to get out on simcoe since 1st week of Feb. Fish4me decided to give ice fishing a try. We booked one of the rentals out from JP. I was excited and was exspecting some action. We got out to the huts roughly around 7:15-7:30am and I showed fish4me how to set up the tip-up. After the tip-ups were set, I set up my fish finder. Minutes later Fish4me said he saw his tip-up go down.. he sets the hook and said he felt a good solid weight. Then the fish got off. He missed a few hits cause it was his first time. I missed a few hits also cause my fishfinder was picking up other people lines going down and coming up off the bottom I tried adjusting the sensitivity. I couldn't tell what was a fish and what wasn't.

When things started to calm down... I keep a close eye on the finder. Seen some activity on the bottom and I got ready to set the hook just incase. Had my hand over my tip-up. Sure enough the tip-up goes down and I grab it and set the hook!! Fish on!! Had some weight to it too. So I slowly started to pull the fish up gently. As it was coming up I thought it was a white fish it didn't fight at all. Just dead weight. As it got closer I noticed it was a laker on my spreader. It didn't hit on my single hook that I had 10 feet away from the spreader. So just as I got it up to about 5-7 feet under the hole.. the laker starts a series of tugs and pulls. I slowly let line go as it pulls. And when it stopped pulling I would pick up the line.

Well I guess it got mad and it went for a run!! The line started going through my fingers and all of a sudden I was at the end, where I had the single hook tied. The laker pulls again and the #12 hook went right into my pinky. Barb and all!!

Now I had to make a quick choice. My finger or the fish? I didn't want it to do more damage so I chose my finger over the fish. I yanked on the 4lb test line which I had the single hook tied and it snaps . But then I felt something else snapped. I look into the whole and I see my spreader in the lakers mouth as it swims back down into the deep. :( .

I was so upset that I just grabbed the bend of the firmly hook and with one yank I tore the hook right out of my finger. Then the blood started to pour out. I applied pressure it quickly. It was swollen and purple. After the blood slowed down I stuck a band aid to it and continued fishing the rest of the day. But it was tough. Without a spreader it was going to be a long day. We still had hits but things dead down right after 11:30am. Nothing happened after that.

Well one thing I learned was how to rip a hook out of my finger. :lol: Its all healed up now. No metal in it which is good, feels fine now. But I'll never for get my first hook.

dsn