Matching the hatch question

Radnine

Hi all,

In the name of matching the hatch, do you use larger bait at this time of year for Walleye? That is to say, if I used a yellow grub in the spring, would I use a longer yellow grub in fall?

I notice that the minnows that we buy are always the same size, do minnows stay the same size and therefore not grow as the season progresses?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Yes....minnows do grow all year but faster during the summer. However, do not forget those tiny minnows in the spring are now small minnows at this time of the year.

I have found that walleye are very particular as to the size of the bait you use. I always seem to have more luck using a smaller bait for walleye. I rarely use any plastic on my jigs. I prefer just using 1/2 (the head part) of a night crawler on a 1/8 to 3/8 size jig. I've got a cardboard box full of soft plastics and I very rarely use any of them except maybe for pike.

Yes....minnows do grow all year but faster during the summer. However, do not forget those tiny minnows in the spring are now small minnows at this time of the year.

I have found that walleye are very particular as to the size of the bait you use. I always seem to have more luck using a smaller bait for walleye. I rarely use any plastic on my jigs. I prefer just using 1/2 (the head part) of a night crawler on a 1/8 to 3/8 size jig. I've got a cardboard box full of soft plastics and I very rarely use any of them except maybe for pike.

Wow really? I always use plastic for walleye, then usually tip it with a worm or a minnow.

So you have a jig head, then space, then a worm head dangling from the hook?

I think that there are more ways to catch walleye than you can shake a stick at.

Jim