Rice Lake Sept 11-13/2009

diggyj

Well I finally had a weekend to myself at the cottage so I packed up the car and headed up with the dog on Friday afternoon. My goal was to get in as much fishing as possible. I am sad to say that over the course of the weekend, I only got out fishing twice for a total of about 3 hours. I also got out onto the lake to watch some of this weekends POKER RUN action. What a blast watching those boats from your own boat close by in the water.

The weather was amazing all weekend and as usual it included some work around the cottage as well as many cold pops.

12216841.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-09-13

A spectacular Friday night sunset.

First baby Walleye came jigging off the dock with a jighead and white grub. Nice to see some of the spawners have laid eggs and that they have survived the influx of gobies and other fish over the years. Anyone know how many years old this one would be? Around 8-10 inches.

77625446.jpg

Saturday morning I managed to catch 2 smallies in the 2+ lb range in 9-15 FOW using a white grub on a jighead. Was hoping for some Walleyes around this particular weedline but only managed a couple of smallies.

95389063.jpg

Next one came a short time later on the same white grub.

11859538.jpg

I spent Saturday doing odds and ends. Went into Cobourg and then went for a drive into Campbellford. Spent about $100 between the Choclate and Cheese factories in Campbellford, but man is there stuff ever good.

Watched the POKER RUN head back from Hastings as I missed them when the first came through. There were some spectacular boats and it was an amazing site to see from so close in the water.

81968060.jpg

89764139.jpg

95923422.jpg

Here is a short video clip from a few of them screaming by.

Saturday early evening I tried fishing the OUSE for the first time. I was marking lots of fish and then I got to a certain spot where I was marking only a few fish, but they were big ones so I worked this spot trolling back and forth for a little over an hour. I was using Senkos in Bubblegum and a Brown with red/pink tail.

I managed to catch 2 Rockbass and had a few misses. I also managed to get one SWEET Smallie onto the end of my line and I thought I gave it a good hook set, but as I reeled in and when it was a few feet away from the boat it swam towards me and I guess I lost line tension and the hook came out. I did see it clearly and it looked to be in the neighbourhood of about 4 lbs.

I had to hoist it from about 9 FOW and it was coming out of some pretty thick slop. Maybe next time. So for about 3 hours of fishing I managed to catch 5 in total which has been better then no fishing at all in the last several weeks. Hoping to head up to Simcoe in the very near future for some Bass and Pike action.

Dirk

I only ask because I was fishing Webb Bay this past week, and saw that boat in the background of the 4th piciture. It's sitting so low in the water, every time a wake or wave hits it, it goes over the back and into the boat. Someone is going to be pretty pissed when they get back up to their cottage to find a boat full of water.

EDIT: BTW, We also fished the Ouse. We caught largemouth right up until we hit the beaver dam. The beaver came out and put on a nice show for us, but must have spooked the largies. We only caught rockbass after continuing upriver past the beaver dam.

Edited by bdox

Yes i saw that boat, here is a better pic of it. I talked to the guy and he is a new cottage owner, bought that place a couple of weeks ago, he just boat the boat at Harris Boat Works and didn't take it out of the water high enough on his lift and therefore the backend sank and got flooded a bit. He tried starting it but it wouldn't. Needs the Harris mechanic to come out now. Newbie cottage and boat owners always get into trouble at some point.

13496640.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-09-14

I spooked that same beaver last week as he was pullling some large grass across the river.

I am a couple of doors down from there, drop by some time and say hello and have a cold one.

Dirk