top bait for simcoe deep (beaverton)

ryanheritage

Hey everyone, just curious to who has a been getting fish and how? I am planning a trip to beaverton tomorrow to mitchells got a hut in the "trout grounds" I am bringing a drk ble/whit rapala and a black and gold bad boy. And of cousre some spreaders for whites or lings. any tips? any one gona be out there? this unfortunatly to say is the first time out on the ice this year but I really want to make it count. Plus my buddy that is coming with me hasn't caught a fish through the ice in a couple years. ( haha todd aka omputeh ). :blahblah1:

I hear Williams Wobblers, Meegs, Simcoe Bug.

They say that a Williams Wobbler laid to rest on the bottom in aprox 75 feet then lifted just enough to barely get the hooks to come off the bottom is what was enticing the Whitefish to hit it. And... they were not tipping the spoon with any bait.

Here are some threads I found for you:

1. Have found that the bite on hardware has been slower then usual with minnows on light line getting more action. Currently getting Trout and Whitefish working different area's from 53' (on rock) to over 87' on a soft bottom. A nice chunky Laker nailed a #9 Jigging rap with 1/2 a minnow worked slowly bouncing off the bottom in 77 fow.

2. A Ling Cod (Burbot) was a huge surprize while working for Whitefish.... it hammered a Silver/Blk jigging Rap

3. A nice Whitefish also hit a Rap in the same area as the Ling

4. I'm having more success fishing Raps and Meegs then my favourite Williams.

Edited by Clampet

I learned my lesson 10 years ago with them outfitters on Simcoe.

Oh, sure some will argue they had a good time :blahblah1:

That is why I depend on myself.

I go to the area, and drive around and do a little reconoitering (sp).

I use the web (Google). I read the reports, on this board. I ask fer advise.

But the days of me paying these so and so outfitters big money to take me to their fixed location ice shanties and sit there like a fool, are over.

That is why today, I can catch fish, if I don't I'm not a hundred dollars poorer. ;)

I have some "technique" for this particular scenario ( deep water of Beaverton :whistling: ), which I've learned from my friend. :worthy: :worthy:

Last year I was 8-10 times in almost the same spot (this year I was only once :huh: ) and never was skunked ( my best is 15" ), but if fish do not bite the only thing left is "fisherman prayer" :worthy: . Send me your private e-mail addy (or anybody interested), so I can explain this in details

Beaverton Is good, ice is thick, takes a while to get through it. I found I had great luck with a heavy Swedish pimple for deep moving water and a beautiful shiner attached, not those muddy looking minnows. In slow shallow water I used the blue fox ice spoon, its thin and light and a bit curvy, also tipped with a nice shiner. Then I got jiggy with it.

I have caught nice eyes there. I believe, where to be is the tricky part.

I have found ice fisherman to be a nice bunch, and very helpful, specially in those parts. So usually a kind," hello" or wave can get you some info on where to start.