Felt Like a Kid Fishin

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Tonight I took a scouting trip in search of early migratory pacifics on a river near sault ste. marie. A few years ago I timed a day perfectly where chrome steelhead and coho hit a stretch of river at the same time, to the point that I could see schools of 10-15 fish coming into the pool I was fishing every few minutes...This occurred around the 1st of sept...

Tonight was not that night. In the pool I was thinking about I caught a lonely hammerhandle and donated 20 dollars in gear to the river bottom. After the failure, feeling defeated, my cohort and I took a drive further up the river, closer to her headwaters...We pulled up on a nice set of falls, a pool, and some alligator water that looked promising...Knowing it was stream fish territory I replaced my float tackle and spoons with an olive coloured woolly bugger and some small steelheading shot...Boy was it fun!

By the time the dust had settled I had caught countless 4-10" brookies and a single resident bow of about 8 inches, all in about 45 minutes...Much to the dismay of posters like GCD I did not take many pictures (my buddy took one of the 'bow)...but tonight was not about the photos, or the measurements, or anything other than the joy I felt in catching this little salmonids and laughing at their attempts to get away...

It was really a fantastic time and it reminded me of my childhood where I spent most of my time fishing small creeks for little brookies and 'bows...