PB Musky/Scugog report (and a lesson learned)

Jonaton

Well the weatherman was calling for another day of bad weather so we decided to stay a little closer to home and hit up Scugog again. We finished packing up the boat only to discover that our net had gone missing, not ideal when out chasing toothy critters. Got on the water at about 8AM and spent a little time testing out the new trolling motor which with the wind it was a little frustrating. So we headed over to a spot that my wife picked and when we stopped in about 3 feet of mostly sandy bottomed water I told her she was crazy. First cast out, on a 6" Grandma I hook into this little beauty. It's funny I buy crazy amounts of lures and this lure is all I have caught fish on the last little while.

090823_111751.jpg

Nice fight and of course I never heard the end of it from the wife. :P

Not a whole lot of action for a while so we move down to where I had a really nice fish take a couple swipes at a lure a couple weeks back. I put the same Grandma back on (the same one the fish a couple weeks ago also went after) and about 2 casts in a fish just hammers my bait, managed to tear 2 trebbles clear off the lure. Now of course as I mentioned we did not have a net with us and I could tell this was a good sized and very angry fish. This fish wanted no part of the boat whatsoever and having no net did not help the situation. I was surprised how fat she was for a summer musky, really wide across the back. I didn't find the measuring tape till just as she was taking off and as she had no energy did not want to take her back out to measure her but I managed to get a rough 41 inch measurement as she was being revived.

090823_122347.jpg

I was really concerned for the fish as we got it back in the water and it was very lethargic. I had been reviving the fish for about 10-15 minutes and it had shown no vitality at all. My friend (OFC member) Travis took over and after another 10-15 minutes the fish finally kicked her tail and took off to the depths. :thumbsup_anim:

090823_122442.jpg

Unfortunately my boat mates didn't have much luck other than a few pan fish. We decided to troll for a bit on our way back to the marina and I did manage to catch a very decent largemouth but I got into so many weeds and with the musky rod I didn't even realize I had a fish on until it got 5 feet behind the boat and Travis informed me there was a fish dragging along amongst the mass of weeds. I got it about a foot from the boat and it spat the hook so no pic.

Overall the weather held off, I managed a new PB musky and I wasn't working, which I will be 7 days a week for the next 3 weeks or so. Going to have to go find some more of the perch pattern Grandmas as it seems to be the older no longer in production pattern and that musky put a hurt on it.

Cheers

Jonaton

great pics man!

i've fished scugog a couple times from piers and docks but only managed a few perch and a very angry little 2 1/2 lbs largemouth in the time i was living there but i tell ya if i was still down there and had my boat i'd be out pretty near every weekend.

JP