Lake Simcoe Bass Tagging Research Update

wil wegman

Hi Everyone,

As a follow up to my post on this topic at the end of July - I'd just like to thank all those who have kept their eyes open for any tagged bass on either Simcoe or Cooch. Since I posted that notice - we have had 3 recaps from the sampling event from the Bassmaster Eastern Divisionals in Orillia July 22-24th. Those bass were all found in Lake Couchiching. One was eaten - the other two released. Interestingly enough - one small largemouth was caught by an old friend of mine who took my bass course at Georgian College in Orillia about 15 years ago! He had moved off to BC (where he enjoyed some great bass fishing) and has since moved back to Ontario and the Orillia area. We were able to touch base and had a good long chat - thanks to that little ol tagged largemouth he called in!

Anyway - one guy posted a great question awhile back about measuring the bass - and how we would like that done. The easiest measurment is "total length" as opposed to fork length - and yes you can squeeze the tail gently and get the measurment from the tip of the tale to the tip of the nose. Fork length - although we take it during the sampling, is not needed - but basically measures from the inside V of that caudil or tail fin.

Someone else remarked that they caught a bass that looked like it may have been sampled, because it appeared as if the 3rd spine of the dorsal has been removed... but that there were no tags! Ah yes - this can indeed happen. One reason we double tag, is to increase our chances of identifying recaps ... but bass can loose their tags and some evidence shows that other bass can actually pull the tags off their fellow bass! That 3rd spine is removed for aging purposes - along with a couple of scales. We really can't do much without a tag number though ... but it's good to know you noticed that missing spine and yes, it was likely a tagged bass at one time.

So - please keep on the look-out everyone and we appreciate what members of this board can do to spread the news about this important research.

Wil Wegman

Ontario BASS Federation Nation Conservation and Media Director.