Lakers down deep

mikec

Hey guys,

Recently found out that one of my buddies booked a campsite at Bon Echo Provincial Park (ie. Lake Mazinaw, ie. fishing!) for the end of the month

I've been here a few times before, and only caught some bass in the nearby smaller lakes. Mazinaw is very, very deep and there was a post either here or on another ontario forum about catching lakers in it. I have heard from many sources there are lakers, however, this is where my question comes in.

Lakers are deep in the summer, and unfortunately, I do not have a boat. That means no downrigging or anything of the sort. However, being primarily a trout/salmon fisherman (rivers) I would love to hook into some lakers. Is there any way this is possible from a canoe?

Two methods ive heard brought up are vertical jigging and a three-way swivel system with a large weight, trolling slowly on a canoe. Are either of the methods effective, or is it possible to use something else better like leadcore or a dispy diver? By the way, I have no idea how to fish any of the aforementioned setups, just heard of them.

Also, the lake is huge, so how would I locate the depth and areas where the lakers may be? I have access to a map with depths if that helps, although im sure many of you will tell me a fishfinder is the way to go ($$$ ;) )

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please post any advice you may have, as it is greatly appreciated.

Mike