Heritage Terminology

Jonny

Pickerel or Walleye? Partridge or Grouse  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which term do you use the most often?

• Pickerel
    • Walleye
  2. 2. Which term do you use the most often?

• Partridge
    • Grouse

One of the local chip stands. They're a big business in Sturgeon Falls and area! :D

French fries, poutine, hamburgers, pogos....... and PICKEREL!

P71126781280x768.jpg

Edited by Jocko

One of the local chip stands. They're a big business in Sturgeon Falls and area! :D

P71126781280x768.jpg

Oh yea, I can see the big line there waiting to get in.........LOL........I have seen several of these roadside stands in my travels through out Ontario and believe it or not this has the most business I have ever seen. It must be the times I drive by.........

Here in the Buffalo, NY area anyone older than 50 years old called walleyes "yellow pike" but now that has changed. On Friday's Buffalo was big, no HUGE on Fish Fries at every tavern, watering hole, saloon, gin mill or restaurant. It still is but a lot of the local watering holes have come and gone but not all. However, the fish that was on every menu was "yellow pike" but that has changed over the years because they are no longer commercially fished in the US. Now every fish fry is haddock and most wouldn't know what a "yellow pike" is if they did see it on a menu........times have changed and not always for the better.

Everyone still brags what restaurant has the best fish fry in town........and of course that would be in my back yard and "yellow pike" is still on my menu not to mention homemade fries, coleslaw and macaroni salad. :)

Bob

Wish we had some of those kinds of 'chip trucks' round here- no Pickerel or Walleye- we need to run to Henry's South in Midland for a fix- love their 'battered Pickerel! When I was a kid growing up and reading fish books- they were called a Walleyed Pike Perch- pretty descriptive name for sure, but I still like it.

Oh yea, I can see the big line there waiting to get in.........LOL........I have seen several of these roadside stands in my travels through out Ontario and believe it or not this has the most business I have ever seen. It must be the times I drive by.........

This one is out of town and mainly serves a local bayshore community of about 300 cottages and year-round homes. "Busy" is having to wait in line behind four people! :D Every spring I hope they open again, and they do. Business must be good enough.

In Sturgeon Falls there are several chip stands (four that are very popular) where you can sometimes have to wait quite a while for your order. There are six or seven chip stands, in a community of about 5,000.

... but a lot of the local watering holes have come and gone but not all.

Same up in this neck of the woods. When I first moved to Timmins, where I lived most of my life, there was a bar/hotel on just about every block. The local hotels would stop serving at supper-time so the miners would go home to their families for supper. Things have quieted down a lot.

Same in the North Bay/Sudbury area.

Whatever we call 'em, pickerel have always been the premier freshwater fish for eating.

Wish we had some of those kinds of 'chip trucks' round here

Sounds like a business opportunity! :D

Edited by Jocko

Lets put the shoe on the other foot, I keep hearing Americans on the Gulf Coast catching Speckled Trout. I am sure that a speck would last a matter of seconds in that warm salt water and they are really catching Spotted Weakfish.

Keep in mind that "speckled trout" is not the correct common name for Salvelinus fontinalis either. ;)

Edited by Burning Babies

This one is out of town and mainly serves a local bayshore community of about 300 cottages and year-round homes. "Busy" is having to wait in line behind four people! :D Every spring I hope they open again, and they do. Business must be good enough.

In Sturgeon Falls there are several chip stands (four that are very popular) where you can sometimes have to wait quite a while for your order. There are six or seven chip stands, in a community of about 5,000.

Same up in this neck of the woods. When I first moved to Timmins, where I lived most of my life, there was a bar/hotel on just about every block. The local hotels would stop serving at supper-time so the miners would go home to their families for supper. Things have quieted down a lot.

Same in the North Bay/Sudbury area.

Whatever we call 'em, pickerel have always been the premier freshwater fish for eating.

Sounds like a business opportunity! :D

There's nothing like a good frit wagon! :P

Pass the malt vinegar, please......