dunnville to maitland grand river bass

smally21

ive fished the dunnville dam, and the port maitland rivermouth, and fished for walleye in between. whats the story on largemouth along this stretch. most of the reedy shoreline and some cuts look great, but my success along the rest of the grand for bass has been poor. anybody have a go at these shoreline fish? im curious morning or night would be better for some topwater efforts, or if it is even worth it, i usually sight fish largemouth and pike in clearer waters.....

I've tried it a handful of times.. there just aren't a lot of largies there. But there are some.. even decent ones. Don't be fooled by the reeds.. the cuts and boat canals are the best bet.

I was just down there fishing the same stretch of river you talking about and same as you, I tried the reeds and a few docks with no success. Like rich says I don't think there is a very big population for largies down there.

From Caledonia down to Cayuga there's decent numbers of smallmouth to be caught from shore or wading, but below Dunnville I've never got more than a handful. Never seen a largemouth come out of the area.

Too many bigger fish for poor sunfish to compete I think.

thanks for the advice. its interesting how much of the best looking fishing spots dont hold fish. i dont suppose much of the grand from caledonia to cayuga supports boat traffic. guess ill stick with lonpoint for the bass - were going today from turkey point for an evening smallmouth/largemouth effort. rumours are the evening topwater bite can be better than the morning, and of course the smallmouth seem to be active almost all day....