Fireworks

brandon

Wednesday night I decided to take a crack at photographing fireworks. The beach we watched them on was quite busy so once I found a spot, I stayed in it....this is why all the photos are from the same spot....enjoy

The Pre-Fireworks sunset

IMG_9844website.jpg

IMG_9856website.jpg

IMG_9891website.jpg

IMG_9901website.jpg

IMG_9940website.jpg

next time try doing a collage of colour....long exposure with several different firworks....as long as the works dont have illuminated tails from the ground ...you will pull off some pretty cool posters....ya know i just thought of it ...i dont own as DSLR so im unaware if you can even do a Controlled Exposure on them ...can ya ?

nice shots ...i enjoy seeing your work

Edited by Twocoda

I was trying different exposure times and the longer ones with the multiple fireworks in them just made a mess of the photo....they just ended up with too much going on at once. So I ended up just focusing on keeping them simple. Not to mention a lot of the photos have people walking through them....which doesn't do much for the picture lol....

Rick,

I started off using really long exposures like 15 seconds long but too many would go off in that time and it just made a mess of the photos. All those are at f5.6-f6.3 and 2.5sec exposure

Thanks Brandon! I am saving up to upgrade to the new Canon s10 IS. Not ready for the DSL cameras I don't think. But the S10 is about as close as I can get and still just slip it to auto for fishing pics.

I have a ton of pics taken this summer..even won a contest with one of them..and doing a shoot for a catalog in August... BIKINI MODELS!! Poor me..lol

Been practising shooting people against a sunset in water and finally got that down...flash delay was the ticket.

Although I haven't attempted it in a few years now, I shoot fireworks the same way that I'd shoot lightning. The problem with both is that you never know exactly when they'll occur, so I set my camera to the longest exposure that I have, which was 30 seconds at that time. Tripod mounted, of course, I'd start the exposure. After the fireworks or lighting occurred, I'd cover the lens with something dark, until the exposure finished, ensuring that I didn't over expose or capture multiple events. It worked quite well. I now have the luxury of bulb shooting where I can start and stop an exposure with the push of a button on a remote. I have yet to try it our though.

Bikini models eh?.....and here I am taking pictures of nature lol....and congrats on the contest win.

And Dan, I was starting off with long exposure but I began to notice the trail of each firework as it went up so I was able to predict when each one would go off which allowed me to use a shorter exposure time....but your trick about covering the lens may come in handy

the "bulb "setting is what i was refering to ....rather then do my homework on the subject...( cuz im not ready to purchase a DSLR yet ) i thought it would be easier to just ask ...

Do most DSLRs come with a bulb setting ...

Rick my heart goes out to you ...lol...here is a little story that happened to me when i worked as a photographer

When i was younger and in my "wild stage" in life ...i used to shoot portfolios for " dancers/models " all the time ...this one time in Calgary i was doing a shoot of a certain celebrity dancer and i spent two hours with her getting the right natural light ( sunset time) and was extremely please with the shots i had achieved and knew they were going to make her extremely happy....i went through 5 rolls ( 36 exp) of film.. she obviously sensed my enthusiasm of what a good shoot it was...and "TIPPED" me in a way never to be brodcasted in a fishing forum...

Long story short....something went wrong in processing of the negatives...OH CRAP!!!! everything was lost.....i ended up re-doing the shoot at my expense and free of charge to her....( no i didnt get another " TIP" from her) but i did end up getting three references from her