Installing fish finder

zman

Well Ii need s new fish finder for the front of the boat but I want to put the transducer on the min-kota bow mount trolling motor

I have never done this before , just curious if this is a hard job also. I currently have a fish finder at the front , will i be able to use the current wire that is running to my battery, wich is the boat battery.

Guest gbfisher

Use a large pipe clamp.

It's ok to use your boat battery if it isnt a large unit. They can drain your battery though.

Edited by gbfisher

YES, the current wiring should be OK.........which should be hooked up to your STARTING battery, not the battery that powers the trolling motor.

I took a Lowrance "skimmer" transducer (the one that usually is mounted on the transom) and just bent the mounting hardware a bit to conform with the trolling motor and then used a large hose clamp to hold it to the trolling motor and it's just as good as any "puck" style transducer. Take a look..........

TrollingMotorTransducerBracket006.jpg

Eagle / Lowrance sells a braket specifically for attaching a transducer to an electric motor. Be sure to leave enough slack for the motor to steer when you attach the cable to the motor.

Yes, that is true but WHY buy something you don't need. You're going to need all that hard earned cash for expensive gasoline to go... :Gonefishing:

Ok I am goint to try this tomorrow , I just have one more question

I tie strap the trnasducer wire up the shaft of the Minn-kota , do I go right to the top and then just run the remaaing along the sides if the boat inside to the fish finder

Thanks for the help

Your boat will determine you custom installation......generally the transducer cable will be zip tied up the shaft of the trolling motor and then it depends on where your sonar unit is mounted. Don't for get to leave just a little extra about mid shaft to it can turn and then you have to experiment with it do you can raise and lower your TM.