New Gear

theRJ

I want to get a proper rod and reel setup for dropshotting/jigging and other finesse presentations.

I can handle choosing a reel but I have absolutely no idea what i shoulds be looking for in the way of a rod.

I have a budget of less than $150 for the rod and it has to be a 2 piece.

What length, action etc. should I be looking for?

Thanks

RJ

theRJ,

Make sure the rod you choose is medium power and has at least fast but preferably extra fast action. In two piece rods I would highly recommend the Shimano Compre 7'. It is well under $150 and is one of very few rods on the market at that price point with a lifetime warranty. The fore grip on the rod is also shaved out to give you direct contact with the blank for extra sensitivity when finesse fishing. Other rods under that in price but still offer the warranty are Shimano Convergence and Clarus but the Compre is the best bang for the buck having IM-8 graphite and Fuji Hardloy guides.

The 7'0" one piece model CPSX70MB is Extra Fast action and one that I use and recommend the 2 piece 7'0" model CPS70M2B is Fast action which is still very usable but when you decide to go 2 piece you tend to lose action.

Good luck

JP

That's great advice, JP. I have 4 Compre's, all casting though and couldn't be happier with them. I could use a new spinning rod and was going to go with a Compre but I'm thinking of hitting Spiel up to make me one. The last walleye rod he made me is really nice.

The length has nothing to do with the power... your 7 footer has no backbone because it is a medium light power and quite possibly slower in action which will reduce the amount of backbone... going medium power with extra fast action will make just the tip section bend first and leave more back bone for moving the fish and setting the hook. The length is a major bonus for casting distance, hook setting due to line pick up and handling the light line load better when fishing finesse for larger fish.

Go with the 7 and I promise you you won't be disappointed.

JP

theRJ,

Make sure the rod you choose is medium power and has at least fast but preferably extra fast action. In two piece rods I would highly recommend the Shimano Compre 7'. It is well under $150 and is one of very few rods on the market at that price point with a lifetime warranty. The fore grip on the rod is also shaved out to give you direct contact with the blank for extra sensitivity when finesse fishing. Other rods under that in price but still offer the warranty are Shimano Convergence and Clarus but the Compre is the best bang for the buck having IM-8 graphite and Fuji Hardloy guides.

The 7'0" one piece model CPSX70MB is Extra Fast action and one that I use and recommend the 2 piece 7'0" model CPS70M2B is Fast action which is still very usable but when you decide to go 2 piece you tend to lose action.

Good luck

JP

You'll like a Compre-great rod for the $