Boat Advice

duckdog

Well I am looking at getting a new boat and trailer finally lol, anyways any input on these models would be great the ultracraft canadian 14', Lund wc 14 and legend 14' widebody, main thing I see for legend is a thicker hull, but I really like the look and price of the ultracraft canadian, any suggestions?

Prices I found

Ultracraft on sale in town 2195 made by misty harbour

Legend 2599

Wc 14 2400

Edited by duckdog

Take a look at the Horse Power and Load ratings. In general, the higher they are the stronger and more seaworthy the boat.

Check the actual widths and depth. In general the longest, deepest, widest boat will be the most stable.

The Lund is 14'6"

The Legend is 14'3"

The Ultracraft is 14'1"

Lund has a good reputation, that might mean a higher resale price when you're ready to move up. I haven't looked at small boats in a long time, but Legend's used to be roughly finished...lots of sloppy grinding on the cast corners etc. That might be okay if you are getting a better price, but in this case it's the most costly...

I like the corner seats in the Ultracraft, it makes sense to make the rear seat sideways in a tiller boat.

Some more opinions on small boats in general...

Used is good, also "non-current" year boats are cheaper than this years models. Boats with flat floors are nicer to fish out of. Bench seats are the work of the Devil. They are designed to be uncomfortable and they are too low to allow adults to stand up easily...pedestals are much better.

There won't be much room to negotiation price wise, so you might be better off to accept their price, but ask them to throw in things like a safety kit, anchor and rope, PFD's etc. that you will have to buy anyway.

Good Luck.

Edited by garry2rs

My brother has the Legend 14 widebody (bought it 4 years ago) and loves it. It handles rough water very well, has a high weight capacity, and overall is very well made. It can also take a 30hp motor. You might want to spend the few extra bucks and get the 14 Prosport, it has flat floors and a livewell built in. I have been seriously looking at the 16 Prosport recently, you will likely see me in one by the end of the summer! (Still working on the wife... ;) )

Edited by Fisherpete