Lake O Salmon around Kingston or Wellington?

RoyL

I've got many years experience fishing for Salmon out of Whitby on my 27' boat, but I sold my boat and all my Salmon gear when I moved up here north of Kingston a few years ago.

These recent posts out of St. Kitts and Bronte are giving me the itch again!

When we fished out of Whitby, we'd always wait for the counter-clockwise migration around the lake. We'd hear reports out of Wellington, then Cobourg and then the fish would appear off Whitby about the middle to end of June (the southwest corner of the lake is always first 'cause it warms up first).

Enough preamble! What I'd like to know is if there is any opportunity for using my 14' (wide and deep) tin boat with a 25hp tiller down at this end of the lake without having to replace my downriggers. i.e. flatlining, or using the little mini diving rigs I still have but never had to use. (How about the live bait drift rigs they use on the Niagara bar on the US side?

Naturally, I'd be picking nice calm days, staying close to shore, and probably fishing water depths no more than 50', down 20-25. (that's where they typically were in Whitby until after the first week of July anyway).

Anybody have any experience at this end of the lake they'd care to share? I don't really want to go out and buy $500 worth of gear for what will only be a couple of outings.

RoyL