Ok Help please!

dizzidevil

Well another day gone and no steelies! Went to Bayfield today and nothing. Can someone give me a list of rivers to go too since lake huron is not treating me good. Been to Port Albert and the Maitland and today was Bayfield. I'm running a 8lb main line and 6lb lead and float fishing. Feel like I should just sell my float reel and take up turkey hunting! LOL

I'd say just be patient Dizzi. You're fishing trout waters but just not connecting. Keep at it. You'll learn and if nothing else, the law of averages is on your side! lol

I remember this one month a couple of years ago when I went 6 straight trips without a bow. I second guessed EVERYthing I was doing including the soap I was using!

Goodluck!

Was anybody catching fish? The best advice anyone can give you is to keep your EYES open when you are fishing for steel. If someone is catching in the same drift as you and you aren't look at their setup. Pay attention to leader length, how much shot and where is it on the line, also try to match the speed of their drifts by switching up floats. Try to see what colour fly, roe or worm are they using and if you have that color USE IT yourself. So many times I have been out and saw someone having success so by observing their setup I have been able to adapt mine to start catching fish too.

Some great advice so far.

Back 25 yrs ago or so the In-Fisherman Books and Mags all stressed the importance of FLP......Fish, Location, presentation.

Are you sure steelies are present in the locations you are trying?

There is another old saying......90% of the fish are in 10 % of the water.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your first steelie of the season.

Cheers

The fish are very late this year on huron....only one out of ten hens caught are loose ....the rest are still tight ...having said that ....re think your presentation and what you are using for bait....meaning ...the fish are agressive from the lake right now...so they are in predator mode as of yet.....

The fish are very late this year on huron....only one out of ten hens caught are loose ....the rest are still tight ...having said that ....re think your presentation and what you are using for bait....meaning ...the fish are agressive from the lake right now...so they are in predator mode as of yet.....

If this is true and the fish are late, i would suggest start tossing some steel in the stream. Little cleo's, flatfish and such. If the fish have not spawned yet they will still be in protective mode on there beds. A flash of silver infront of a spawning bow will trigger a defensive attack.