Next Level of Trolling?

Fishnwire

I looking for some general info on trolling involving the use of things like planer boards and dipsey divers. I've never used either, and don't have downriggers. Mainly I troll (flat-line with mono) a couple of small lakes and a medium sized river for pike and walleye. I do OK using plugs and pickeral (lindey-type) rigs, but was wondering what is involved in(and what are the advantages of) using all that stuff I see at Ramakko's in what appears to be the trolling section.

Is it worth messin' around with that stuff? (What do they even do?)...and do I need to be set up for downrigging to employ them?

THANX.

I spend most of my time flatlining as well and haven't yet bothered with trolling 'accessories', Planer boards move your bait to the sides- targeting fish not spooked by the boat passage or that have moved to the sides due to the boat overhead. Dipsey divers perform similar to down-rigging but can also be set up to take the baits out the sides somewhat as well. Most of my trolling involves hugging weed-lines so I don't think this stuff would apply. But I can think of a few Walleye shoals that I could troll from deeper water that I could use a planer board for. I think I will eventually rig up to run planer boards off a main line attached to my side cleats and clip my line to them. It is something to see though when a Musky boat goes speed trolling by with a centre mast and boards out each side!

planers come in 2 different forms. Big boards and In-lines. Big boards are ran off a mast on your boat. In-line boards are just that. Small boards that are ran in-line on your rods. The idea of planer boards is to get your lure out and away from your boat and into the strike zone.

For flatlining, in-lines could be a very effective addition to your spread.

Are they worth having YES!

Divers are a bit different. They allow you to fish a desired depth with out needing riggers. Braid or wire line is usually the best choice for divers as your looking for little stretch in the line to get the full potential out of the diver. Solid rod holders like a salty is neccessary for this as they can create a good amount of pull.

Are divers worth running YES!!