Heading to Lake Lavielle

ADB

Hello everyone -

Me and a couple buddies are planning on heading into Algonquin and up to Lavielle this Spring.

Our tentative date is June 4th - this is the earliest we can go.

However, I've heard from a lot of people that that is already too late in the season to catch effectively; fishing right after ice-out is the best and only time to fish trout in Algonquin.

My question is, has anybody fished Lavielle in early June, or any trout lake in Algoquin at that time, and how did you do?

Any advice, techniques, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your answers and opinions.

Edited by ADB

Fished it a few times in June, caught fish each trip, Dickson lake has always been more productive though.

A snap on weight system to get you a little deeper and a blue/silver cleo have always produced while trolling. Water Temps are everything and there's a great article in this months Ontario Outdoors worth a read. Find the feeder creeks and you'll find the Brookies. Also submerged wood structure in 10-15' is always a favorite. Can't go wrong with tiny minnow crankbaits or inline spinners around that stuff.

Lavielle is big water and blows up good with the right wind, be careful. And I assume you know of the Black flys in may/june.

RF

Fished it numerous times in May, never quite that late.

As Rustic said the fish will be a bit deeper especially lakers, although mornings, evenings and overcast days you'll still likely get them on top.

As he said you should have one rod rigged to fish deep for lake trout. Most popular is the tried and true steel line fished by the guy in the bow of the canoe with a constant pumping of the rod.

If steel line isn't your thing a stiff spinning rod or light baitcaster spooled with 10lb braid should do the trick.

Snap weights are okay but I much prefer a wolf river rig when trolling deep with braid.

Light flutter spoons and smallish floating stickbaits (especially perch coloured) work well trolled with this set up.

You can also simply flatline a lure like a Luhr Jensen Power Dive Minnow (chrome/blue) and catch lots of lakers. On a long line with braid they can get down 30-40' easy.

For specks work the deeper shorelines..

The island cluster in the central part of the lake at the entrance to the east arm is a good place to try for lakers and specks.

Crow bay can be good for specks especially where it spills into Lavielle.

Good luck (and bring lots of deet :) ).

I've been to Laveille about 4 or 5 times. Latest was last May. I'll echo other people's comments.

You'll do fine in early June. My paddling partner went in there early June about 5 years ago and did exceptionally well on the specks. He got his PB there as well at over 5lbs. The didn't get one laker.

It will all depend on surface temps. According to the MNR biologist I bumped into on Dickson he said as soon as the temps hit 13C (55F) the lakers head straight to the bottom. But again, they do come up in the morning and evenings. Watch for surface activity. I've seen some awesome displays of minnow schooling by very aggressive lakers.

Another alternative to wireline is lead-core. I know the local guys at Algonquin Outfitters use lead-core and a particular spoon religously and do quite well all summer.

Last year on Big Trout I vertically jigged with some ice fishing spoons and did well on the lakers. I'm guessing I was in 80 feet of water and jigging near bottom (no graph with me).

Other places to try are the Crow river. Bring a fly rod as it can have some great dry fly action.

Lastly, I can't emphasize enough that Laveille is a big lake and blows up quickly. Be careful.

Bring tons of bug dope or wear bug jackets and have a bug shelter.

Good luck,

Rover

Thanks for the replies, everyone -

We were planning to target specks more anyways, so it is good to hear that people has had success during early June.

Also, we should be taking a route that goes through Dickson, so we'll make sure to fish it as well.

And yes, we're aware of the black flies, so we'll do all we can to fight them lol.

Thanks again for the stories, tips, and words of caution - much appreciated.

Edited by ADB

Thanks for the replies, everyone -

We were planning to target specks more anyways, so it is good to hear that people has had success during early June.

Also, we should be taking a route that goes through Dickson, so we'll make sure to fish it as well.

And yes, we're aware of the black flies, so we'll do all we can to fight them lol.

Thanks again for the stories, tips, and words of caution - much appreciated.

Best word's of advice for those lakes and portages "PACK LIGHT"

RF

• 4 weeks later...

ADB - Please post a trip report when you return! I am currently in the early stages of planning an annual fishing trip and we are seriously considering the Lavielle loop via the Crow River in late August. This thread and another thread that SoloPaddler posted on have been very helpful. We usually go out West here in the States but one of the guys was just up in Algonquin on snow shoes and fell in love. From my early research and pics on Google Earth I can see why this park is so popular. I'm also a big fan of float trips and camping. I'd like to stay at the ranger cabin on Crow for a day or two and then hit Lavielle for most of the trip heading down the Crow for day trips as was suggested by SoloPaddler in another thread. Solopaddler - if you take a canoe down the Crow to Lavaque, is it pretty easy to get back to Lavielle? From the map it looks like you portage down the Crow most of the way anyway. Is it worth it to even take the canoe? Is fishing for specks in Mallic and Lavaque any good that time of year? Also the map says there are Walleye in Lavielle - has anyone caught any eyes there?

ADB - Please post a trip report when you return! I am currently in the early stages of planning an annual fishing trip and we are seriously considering the Lavielle loop via the Crow River in late August. This thread and another thread that SoloPaddler posted on have been very helpful. We usually go out West here in the States but one of the guys was just up in Algonquin on snow shoes and fell in love. From my early research and pics on Google Earth I can see why this park is so popular. I'm also a big fan of float trips and camping. I'd like to stay at the ranger cabin on Crow for a day or two and then hit Lavielle for most of the trip heading down the Crow for day trips as was suggested by SoloPaddler in another thread. Solopaddler - if you take a canoe down the Crow to Lavaque, is it pretty easy to get back to Lavielle? From the map it looks like you portage down the Crow most of the way anyway. Is it worth it to even take the canoe? Is fishing for specks in Mallic and Lavaque any good that time of year? Also the map says there are Walleye in Lavielle - has anyone caught any eyes there?

Check your pm's