Anglers help other anglers in need

Spiel

Anglers help other anglers in need

February 9th, 2009

Allan Bass / newsdurhamregion.com

Caesarea continues to be a hot spot

The temperature this time of the year is fluctuating between mild days and those that are downright inhospitable.

Last Saturday, we were supposed to receive between one and three centimeters of the white stuff. We ended being dumped on again with five to 10 centimeters of heavy, slushy, hard to shovel snow. This is bad enough in the driveway. But on the lake this can become a real hazard.

Those who chose to drag their equipment out by foot to their favourite hole on the ice faired far better than some who drove out onto the ice. The heavy, slushy mess not only caused a problem for some ice augers, but also had many angler’s vehicles stuck out on the lake as well. Even the four wheel drive variety found it especially tough going. These vehicles would be ‘booting’ along and all of a sudden they would hit a large, slushy patch where the water gathered on top of the ice. If they were lucky enough to make it out to their favourite spot, some would be bogged down in the deep snow that covered the many areas of the lake.

I witnessed several vehicles being rescued by a big yellow half-track. This good Samaritan dragged many anglers to shore who were stuck out on Lake Scugog. I’m sure all ice anglers would like to voice their appreciation.

When you are in the angling community, people help other people in need. That’s one of the great things about the sport of fishing. I broke down last summer and was towed about five miles by a boater who just came out on the lake. He towed me all the way back to the marina and helped me dock my boat. When I offered him some money for gas, he just waved his hand and said, “Pass it on.”

As far as fishing is concerned, the past week has seen many good sized eaters taken through the ice. Walleye in the two to four pound size are common and even bigger ones have been reported every couple of days.

According to Dave at Causeway Live Bait in Port Perry, the hottest areas continue to be the ice directly adjacent to the boat ramp in Caesarea (10 to 12 feet seems to be the target depth). Ball Point has slowed down a bit but is still producing some good size walleye, especially around dusk. The area straight out from West Shore Marina is also reporting a good catch ratio.

Live minnows and shiners seem to be the angler’s choice.

Remember be careful out there and have fun. If in doubt, check with the locals.

Until next time, I am The Ontario Angler.