Classic boat restoration tips up for grabs

Spiel

Classic boat restoration tips up for grabs

February 4, 2009

Jake Good / www.muskokan.com

c110e4f0431296df71e0dd096ce6.jpeg

RESTORATION PROJECT. Eric Seepa works on restoring a 1949 Seabird at his workshop near Orillia. Seepa will be one of the hosts of the ACBS Toronto winter workshop in February. / Photo by Jake Good

The annual Antique and Classic Boat Society Toronto winter workshop aims to show boat owners ways to increase the value of their crafts

Assessing, protecting and increasing the value of classic wooden boats are the themes of this year’s ACBS Toronto winter workshop.

On Saturday, February 21, Eric Seepa of Classic Boat Restorations near Orillia will be opening up his workshop to provide a hands-on demonstration of some of his restoration techniques. He will be joined by Bob Purves, who will discuss an insurer’s view of protecting a boat. David Buchanan and Patrick Wren will cover a surveyor’s view and an ACBS judge’s view of how to assess and increase the value of your boat.

“We’ve been a part of the ACBS Spring Tour for four years and we are excited to be hosting this workshop,” said Seepa. “It is a chance for people to get together and talk about their passion. Wooden boats. It is also a great opportunity to speak to people in the know about repair tips, where to get rare parts and anything else boat related.”

This will be the first time in a number of years that the winter workshop will be close to Muskoka. Time will be spent between Seepa’s workshop and the Orillia Fairgrounds for presentations and lunch. Hosting the workshop is a dream come true for Seepa.

“I always loved working with boats,” explained Seepa. “It started when I was younger; my brother bought a wooden cruiser that needed fixing up. I remember helping him out and loving it. I then started working on friends’ boats and people started coming to me for advice or bringing me boats that needed work so it was a natural progression.”

“There are always some jobs that are boring. I don’t think anyone likes the sanding process but most of the work is enjoyable. Besides people always enjoy the boat when it is done and that is the main reason this job is rewarding.”

The winter workshop will also feature a number of boat owners talking about what they are having done to their boats. Experts and owners alike will be available to answer questions on anything related to boat repair and building. With a cold winter on the cards it gives wooden boat owners a real chance to enjoy their passion with others.

“A lot of the enjoyment of a wooden boat is the memories it conjures up,” he said. “Their father had one and it brings back the days of youth. Then again who can’t resist a gleaming mahogany boat? You can have ten or 20 new fibreglass boats at a dock, some of them worth millions, but when a woodie pulls in you know what is going to get the attention.”

Seepa does not limit himself to working on a certain style of boat and said the beauty of the trade is that you never know what you will be working on. Sometimes a job will take a few weeks, other jobs a few months. A side project he has been working on has taken around two years.

A 1940s Peterborough Zephyr is the inspiration behind Seepa’s side project. Its stunning lines and racing style fired Seepa’s imagination and he has been working on a replica ever since.

“We started work in 2007 so the boat will have a bit of a bond theme and be called the Zephyr 007,” said Seepa. “It really is a beautiful boat and everyone who saw it loved it. It inspired me to make a replica and I can’t wait to have it in the water later this year. It will be even better than the original as we are using modern epoxy construction that will give it the durability of fibreglass but the true style of a wooden boat. Plus we can get better engines so this boat will fly. I am hoping to make a number of them and then I’m sure another boat will come along and inspire me. They always do.”

As well as showing off his restoration skills, Seepa is on hand to talk shop. Whether it is advice on shopping in flea markets for rare parts or the best stain to use on a finished job, his years of experience will be there to be tapped.

For more information on the ACBS Toronto winter workshop contact Don Chapman at [email protected].