Twins!

Garry2Rs

On the weekend I like to stay away from the local fishing hot spots.

So, after our weekend fast, last Monday Buck, and I were heading for a local Reservoir called Mittry Lake.

Buckduck.jpg

It's winter down here, even if it's 75F and I'm wearing a "T" shirt.

The Bass seem to like to wait for the water to warm-up, so we launched at around 10am.

Last week we caught a 3 pounder off some green reeds in the north-west corner of the lake.

We cruised down to that area to start fishing Monday.

This time the wind was calm and the day was warm.

We threw the Yum Dancing Eel from last week, a Spro Little John that was lucky once before, a Cotton Cordell Super-Spot (rattle-trap) and a white and chartreuse spinnerbait...but we couldn't find anyone home.

Repositioning the boat up wind, we drifted over a large 4 foot deep area.

On the way to the reeds, we had seen a couple of fish hit the surface on this huge flat.

One of the local favourite baits, at this time of year, is a Rattle-trap type lipless crank-bait.

These diamond shaped baits are cast across shallow submerged weed beds.

When you touch/hang up on the weeds, you rip the bait free and hang on...

The ripping action often triggers a strike.

The water was very cloudy so no weed beds were visible, but I made long casts over the flats and when I felt the Super Spot touch something I gave it a rip.

On one such tug I hooked up with a 16+ inch 2.5 pound bass.

Since Buck is clumsy with the camera I tossed the fish in the live-well, until I could find someone to take a picture.

The next couple of hours were uneventful as we continued from the shallow flats to a deep canal.

When I reached the deeper water I was ready for a change and selected the rod that was rigged with the Little John crank-bait.

This bait runs at between 3 and 5 feet. I have had luck with it along the edges of the deeper canals before.

Along the 3 mile gravel access road, that follows the shoreline from the end of the paved road to the boat ramp, there are a series of key shaped shore-fishing location built out into the lake. Many are black topped for wheelchair access.

Between these keys are bays and at the back of one of the bays, I saw another stand of the green reeds that had been good to me last week.

On one side of the bay was the shore fishing spots, on the other side was a rugged island. I positioned the boat half a cast from the island, as far from the shore-fishing spots as possible. My casts were diagonally toward the heavy growth on the island's bank. This kept my bait in the strike-zone longer than a 90 degree cast directly to shore would have.

At the back of the bay, in the water between the island and shore, and continuing across the back of the bay, were the sparse green reeds that had drawn my attention.

On the corner where the reeds met the island's shore I found a 2.5 pound bass who liked the Little John.

I now had twins in the live-well...GRIN.

We found a couple of guys, to help us out with a photo, on the main part of the lake.

25BassTwins.jpg

In another post I mentioned that I liked the new Fireline Tracer braid, and that the alternating light-dark pattern was easy to see on the olive-tan water down here...Sorry that the focas is soft, but this will give you an idea what it's like in use...Take a look.

DSCN1607.jpg

Tomorrow my 15 pound Tracer should arrive and I look forward to trying it with weightless Senkos and other small baits on a spinning rod.