Ice Fishing Line to use

Mr Twister

I am a big believer in using as light as a line as possible even during ice fishing season!

I will run 6lbs Flourocarbon on set lines and fire line 10lbs on small jig rod's still running a flourocarbon leader lenght as confidence.

Its always more enjoyable to have some skill taking your time fighting the game fish as to hauling it in!!!

Good luck to all this year!

Mr Twister aka:Pauly

Pretty much the same as you bud except it's 10 and 20lb powerpro on my jigging rods along with a fluoro leader.

20lb powerpro on my polar tip ups and 9lb Tectan mono along with a fluoro leader on my dead sticking rods.

For pannies I run 4lb clear XL on my micro reels...

last 2 years i have played a little with lines. Not too much. I have some regular fireline on 2 reels and this year i tried the fireline crystal... NOT the kind specifically for ice fishing but the general use stuff. I found the crystal to ice up considerably less then the regular grey fireline. Make sure you use a abit of mono backing, or a little tape over the knot to the spool. In cold weather i find the fireline likes to spin independently and even perch can take more then a little line off before you realize what's going on. I'm not a big fan of the regular braided. My buddy uses it on his rods. Last year he used the regular and it iced up really fast. This year he has braided ment for ice fishing and it ices up less, but he still ends up with more ice on his line then i do, no matter which one of my setups i'm using.

I also use floro leaders, and have 6 pound floro on a couple of the smaller rods. I'm pretty happy with it. It's some floro co-polymer ment for ice fishing. Hardly ices at all.

Hope that was some help.

-R-

Edited by Ramble On