Question for Brandon

bushart

Thanks Brandon---I have a question for you as I'm not a photographer as you are.

Currently I'm using a digital camera (Sony) with 4.1 Megapixels---This may sound like a dumb question but if I upgraded to a camera with say 12 megapixels will that give me more clarity when I'm shooting my artwork? Or do you think it's a lighting issue.

I know some of these canvas' are say 2ftx4ft and at times subjects get washed out trying to take in the whole pic--much like my fishing kid recently posted.

Thanks for any help

Bushart

For taking pictures of your art for online use, the 4.1megapixels should be fine. Megapixels are only an issue when you are trying to blow a photo up larger to be printed. More megapixels also let you digitally zoom on the computer and in turn this allows for cropping without really being able to tell the original photo was cropped. with 4.1 megapixels, when you digitally zoom, it would become blurry fast. Lighting could be an issue as well. If your camera has a built in flash, try keeping the camera as far away from the artwork as possible, that way the flash won't wash out the photo. If you were to get a new camera with more megapixels, i'd recommend an entry level DSLR which would give you the option of an accessory flash. The difference is huge when you compare 2 photos, one with the built in flash, and one with the accessory flash. Hope this helps

Brandon