Fly Fishing On Ice?

profisher25

I just thought of something interesting for those who ice fish, and may have fly fishing gear that they don't really use that much. When it comes to ice fishing, lures can get pretty small, especially when your fishing for perch, or crappie, or whitefish. Well, I came to realize that much of fly fishing tackle is pretty small as well. So, if you have any fly's that you don't use very often, don't bother buying more ice fishing tackle. All you need to do is tie on your fly of choice, and add a weight, anywhere you want really, but in my personal opinion, I would say about half an inch to about an inch up the line from the fly, and there you have it! Your set for ice fishing, and you don't even need to spend a cent on any ice fishing tackle; that is, if you have fly's! ;)

I've been doing this for a few years and it really works well. I don't go ice fishing without a few flies in my arsenal. For perch and crappie I'll do a drop shot type rig, with either a scud or sow bug imitation (especially on simcoe). If you start pulling up green weeds, give them a shake and look on the ice to see what bugs are there and the average size, then simply 'match the hatch'. Some of my best perch fishing days have come from using this method during the first ice period in about 10-15 feet of water, but I've also done well in the 25 foot range if good green weeds are present. If the action is a little slow on a given day, pick out a small dead minnow from the bucket and tip the fly with just the head. Checking the bellies of the perch while cleaning them will give an even better idea of what insects they might be eating.

For whitefish, I'll drop shot a woolly bugger tipped with a small minnow. I've had some great success with this method as well, but for some reason a white woolly bugger works the best, with a cinnamon, or light brown color coming in a distant second.

It's a great method and certainly worth trying on any given day.

I think its a great way to pull out those perch, I'm definitely going to try out some of the fly's I have hanging around, and put some use to them. I personally don't fly fish, but I have a whole bunch of fly's which i've never used before.

I can take those off your hands for you... I have a Ross world Industries 8 wt thats beggin to see some steel!