not broken up!!!!! ice conditions for the bay of quinte

skevys

Some people are seeing open water under and around the bay bridge in Belleville and think the bay is opening up and melting. This open water is created by a tug boat (ice breaker) that is keeping an open spot from the mouth of the Moria river out to almost cow island and as far west as the bay bridge. This is for ice control on the Moria river so we don’t have a back up of ice, thus flooding, this will go on all winter while there is ice, and so remember this when you decide to go out this season.

We still have from 2 to 4 inches of ice in areas that are not near current. With the testing and looking at our holes that we have been using to keep an eye on things we have not lost any ice but we have not made any either. I still don’t recommend anyone to go out yet.

To-night we have temps that are suppose to be down between -12 to -22 c , (depending what forecast you watch) to-morrow is around -09c and to-morrow night down between -16 to -30c (depending what forecast you watch). So with these temps the bay will be making ice. Looks like we will be having fun shortly. I will be checking the ice in the morning before I come in to open .

Ron