Leader Knots when Spin casting a CP????

StoneFly

This may sound like a dumb question,...but does anyone ever get knots in their leader while spin casting a pin? I have noticed it a few times in the past and something just made me think of it to post now.... I mean, I cast pretty decent and almost never break off with my choice of leader, I just know that knot is not good when it does happen. If memory serves, it only happens when I use a long leader (36"+ or so) and have a long cast to make, (50' or so),...Somehow, undectably during a cast, the leader wraps and knots itself at certain times...any input, thoughts, solutions?

This may sound like a dumb question,...but does anyone ever get knots in their leader while spin casting a pin? I have noticed it a few times in the past and something just made me think of it to post now.... I mean, I cast pretty decent and almost never break off with my choice of leader, I just know that knot is not good when it does happen. If memory serves, it only happens when I use a long leader (36"+ or so) and have a long cast to make, (50' or so),...Somehow, undectably during a cast, the leader wraps and knots itself at certain times...any input, thoughts, solutions?

You just answered the question yourself bud.

It'll happen from time to time when running longish tippets with little or no shot on them.

Especially if you're also using lighter baits.

It'll wave around in the air and wrap around itself on a long cast. There's also has a tendency to wrap around the mainline above the float.

A more progressive shot pattern and slightly shorter lead will usually eliminate the problem.

If it becomes an annoying tendency when I'm running a longer shot free tippet I'll bite the bullet and pinch a couple of dust shot onto the leader. That usually fixes the problem.

Edited by solopaddler