Bay of Quinte ice conditions

duber

Well the bay finally skimmed over last night.A few pockets are still open but they will freeze in today.If the temps stay cold we might be out next weekend in the non-current areas.There is so much current in the bay this year it will take some real cold weather to make some of the "hot-spots" safe.

Maybe the year is not lost!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Hey there Duber....

Went to town this morning..to do some banking..

...the TD at the bridge in Trenton at the mouth of the BOQ

Saw ice covering the mouth of the river and north...but the Bay looked open.

I havent fished the BOQ in winter, so I dont know how long it takes at all for good ice..But,

I did drop into see Sam at Carra Outdoors in Belleville about some hunting gear and he told me it would be at least 2 weeks more with these frigid cons.

If your regular down this way....PM me and let me know when you think any areas might be safe enuff...just up the street!

I will keep you up to date about the ice conditions.I won't tell anyone its safe in a spot untill I have actually been out there.I wouldn't want someone to go threw the ice in a spot that I "thought" was safe.Personally I like 4 inches for walking and 6 inches for the 4wheeler and hut.When I see the first guys out there I'll start checking the ice.I know one of the first guys out there is ok with 2 inches of ice so its usally a couple cold nights after I see him out there.The first safe ice is close to my house so I will be watching daily.

I just took a little stroll out on the ice.There is about 2 inches of realy bad ice on Big Bay close to shore.I don't think there would be that much further out.The ice formed when the wind was blowing so it is a real mess out there.Ice was cracking with every foot step.Definently a no-go for this weekend!Maybe next weekend.