New Work

bushart

Last spring in search of my next project I decided to investigate the “Lake Monster” named “Mussy” who resides in Muskrat Lake in Cobden, ON.

I worked with the local newspaper and we polled the townspeople --we found there was considerable info to be gained in archival newspaper stories from the 1970’s.

I learned that this story can be followed back to Champlain days where local Native Bands told of the creature of the lake.

There were several accounts of sightings in the 60’s & 70’s with even a boat being flipped over in dead calm water.

What I could gain was the creature has a bill shaped snout, long back fin and a tail. Somewhat green/gray in colour.

I’ll attempt to keep this short.

I did not wish to paint what has become the “norm” in lake monster depiction –which appears to be a 3 bump floating inflatable shot from a distance floating in open water. I also did not want it to become a Barney the dinosaur cartoon-remembering at different times people thought this to be real.

I went for the close-up and as you can see had him showing himself (or herself)

Now to tie it to Cobden was the next trick--Cause unstated it could be anywhere---I did not want to just throw the water tower in the mix—too much like a post card---an overturned boat could be anywhere.

So I grabbed the big claim to fame for the area—Champlain’s Astrolabe finding. (Directional tool)

History states that this area must have been on the voyageur route to miss the rapids on the Ottawa River.

So I did overturn a boat but with 2 fleeing voyageurs just set it back in time a little.

After a long time I present "Mussy"

Bushart