Maps for handheld GPS

bigcreekdad

I've got an older Lowrance handheld ifinder. Are there any maps available of entire French River? I realize that the only printed maps that have depths are not available for the river below the Chaudiere dam. I'm looking for good tops without depths, but will help locating bays and marking spots.

Also, I was in Quebec fishing LG4 week before last and out guide had a Garmin handheld that was quite impressive with very good mapping of LG4 (not depths).

Any idea where to get these? I've looked on Navionics website and they don't provide a lot of info on the above areas.

Guest lundboy

There aren't any charts/maps like you would see in Navionics (with water depths). The French is not considered a navigable waterway like the Trent. If you contact the MNR for Sudbury, you can get detailed paper charts of sections (about $60), and I think you can use Fugawi software to scan them in and scale them.

http://www.fugawi.com/web/index-ca.htm

Mapcreate 6 - Canada Topo maps - AWESOME ... every little brook and pond ... no depths but VERY accurate ... I use it in the mountains in Quebec and it shows all the islands and bays - and the elevations are very helpful too.

I got mine on the 6 CD version and you can create the maps you want for your handheld and even add your routes and waypoints before uploading to your chip.

Edited by camillj

Guest lundboy
Thanks lundboy....I'm not concered about depths at all.....just good shore contour, and ability to mark spots with GPS coordinates.

This might help you out:

You may still be able to buy a copy of a huge platicized map of the French put out by Ontario Parks. It covers all of the French River and some of it's history. Kim may still have some in her store at the corner of 69 & 64. No Depths but lots of shore and contours pretty detailed actually. Again you would have to scan and scale.

It looks like this:

img-resized.png Reduced 89% http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ost&id=6960