James Bay Fishing?

CLofchik

Taking a motorcycle trip up the James Bay Road in PQ over the Victoria weekend, and I was wondering what the heck there is to catch in James Bay tribs. I figure mostly pike & specks, but I've heard there is a sea-going whitefish run also.

Plan on hitting the Rupert, Eastmain & La Grande, I'm guessing most fish are below rapids or should I fish closer to the estuaries?

It's a long and dusty road, and on a bike no less!

Enjoy the Rupert while you can, the natives up there sold out again (IMO). If it's not already it very soon will be dammed (or should that be damned?) to create more hydroelectric power.

Honestly unless you've got a canoe or boat you're pretty limited until you get to LG4.

Once there you can rent a boat from Mirage outfitters and fish the reservoir. It's absolutely immense and pretty much unfished.

Very good pike and lake trout fishing with decent brook trout in the inflowing trib's.

Can't wait to see the report for this trip, have a good one!

Solo, have you been up there? No luck fishing from spots along the road?

Heh, on a sport bike too, it's the almost 400km of no gas that gives me the slightest moment of pause, plus if anything breaks on a bike you'll be SOL, and I'm sure the gravel & chipseal roads will just absolutely eat bike tires, and the odds of giving a caribou a Kawasaki enema are relatively high :D

The Rupert is the reason why I wanted to do it this year, always wanted to canoe it but it looks like the bike will have to do. Not really going to have the time to rent a boat, strictly shorefishing & camping along the way. I just wanted to double check on species & portable tackle choices, plus if anybody has any favourite holes along the way I'll be glad to doublecheck if the fish are still there......... :D

http://jamesbayroad.com/

A very good friend of mine from Rouyn Noranda worked many years for Quebec hydro in LG4.

He's fished the reservoir countless times and knows it inside out.

My partner and I had planned to film a trip to LG4 last summer as one of the episodes in our show "Northern Explorers".

Unfortunately it didn't happen for a variety of reasons (at least not yet :) ).

My advice would be to contact Mirage Outfitters and ask them the same questions.

I'm headed to northwestern QC next week and I'll try to get you some more detailed info.

Cheers