Fishfinder Shopping Help

Buellrunner

Hi all,

My name is Jack. I fish Lake Of Bays for Lake Trout, and have begun rigging my 14 foot tiller with equipment. I need a fish finder. I troll with a 15hp merc 2 stroke.

I don't know much about fish finders, and there a so many options. Obviously Ive been looking at the portables since its an all metal little tiller and I dont want to leave electronics on the boat.

The models that I have been looking at are 1. Hummingbird Fishin Buddy all in one (clamps to the side or back of the boat). 2. Other models that use a suction cup transducer.

My boat vibrates quite a bit, and is not that wide, so I have been concerned about using the transom suction cup models being close to the motor in case engine vibrations and boat vibrations mess up the sonar readings...

Im also trying to keep the price at around 200-250.00 for the unit...

Any suggestions? Any help would be great.

Jack

Guest Johnny Bass

I would go with the eagle/lowrance fish finders. What I did with my portable was get a long stick(maybe 1/2 inch by 2 inches) about 4 feet long. Drill a hole at the bottom. Mount transducer on it with a screw and wing nut. And on the top secure it to the transom with a clamp. Make sure its secure. I have lost a few clamps. Good luck!

Check out the Humminbird 343c Portable, it costs just a bit more than the Fishin Buddy and is a better sonar for the money.

http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-pro...od407000-1.html

Also, forget about the suction cup mount, they always come off and you risk getting the cable chopped/wrapped up in the propeller of your motor.

The best product I have seen and use personally is the Titelok Transducer Holder. Stays in place at full speed, and goes easily on and off the boat. I also use mine and clampt it on a 5gal pail when ice fishing.

http://www.titelok.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=123

I actually purchased the 585c Humminbird and then just bought the portable case from Humminbird and converted it to use 2 x 6Volt Gel Cells which I can recharge with a 12-volt AC adapter I picked up from the local hobby shop. The nice thing is that it uses the standard quick-connect bracket in the portable case as well as the one you mount in the boat. So I can instantly switch it to my bow-mount sonar or into the portable case if I'm using my small aluminum boat in back lakes or ice fishing.

Have fun with the new sonar, but save yourself the sunction cup headaches and go with a titelok transducer holder.

Tony