Kamaniskeg Lake- Combermere area

Carmen

Hi to all on Canada day, it's been a bit since I was last on the board with the new job but as luck my have it I've been invited by my boss up to his annual boys weekend at the cottage. First time I'm going up with them and all knowing my passion for fishing you can guess who's shoulders the responsibility of them catching fish falls on, ya me. Their catch success is pretty sad, 8 guys have a total fish count of 7 fish in 4 years TOTAL. I think I can better that by going to the pet store with them. Joking aside I would love for these newbies to catch a few fish, not really concerned with quality but more so in quantity even if average weight is 2 LB and under. The area the cottage is on is just off Kamaniskeg Lake north of Combermere and were fishing off a pontoon house boat (sad I know), in reading some past posts I read some good things about Green Lake, anyone have any info would be great. You can also PM me.

Thanks in advance

Brookster

Hey brookster,

I was searching Google for something else and came along this post.

I've been fishing Green lake and Kamaniskeg for the past 28 years..

In many years I used to not give Kamaniskeg the time of day but last year I decided to spend more time in the big lake and fish around the shores. I got some killer big bass.

I also talked to guys who were just drifting through the river and getting catfish. Not my cut of tea. Supposedly in past years there were some big lakers in kamy but the lake has been over fished over the years and I'd doubt if there is even a handful left.

GReen Lake is just behind chippawa. There is a boat launch there.

Green Lake can be a monster of a lake but again sadly also severely over fished makes it tough. Here is what I'll tell you about Green.

There are some sick size Northerns in Green but they are few and far between. Best luck has been jigging between 20-30 feet. This lake is also extremely deep for such a small lake. Have tried trolling the short distance between the lake and tried to get spoons down deep with no luck.

Bass are monsters in here. Pretty much excellent Bass fishing around the entire perimeter which is all frogs, weeds etc...

The lake goes into another small lake called Labrador. You can really only get a row boat or small aluminum boat through there.

Chippawa has Aluminum boats there but they are for guests only, so unless you bring your own oars, these are tough to use. I stay at Chippawa and its a big pet peave when people show up and use the guest boats. FYI. They should lock them up though but they dont.

The Pike again are hard to catch but I'll just say, there are some severely huge monsters in Green.. Including Snappers. For this reason I never swim in Green.

As for any other species in Green or Kamaniskeg, in 28 years I've only caught Smallies, Largmouth, Pike & Sunfish.

Let me know if you have further questions

Good luck! I'm jealous and will be there in a few weeks!

Edited by eleven

I used to fish the Madawaska river into the Kamy years ago. Would get many SMB and the odd pike under the bridge just in Combermere. Diamond Lake is another good lake around there. Frogs seem to work the best for bass up that way. Good luck and tell us how it went.

Hi Brookster,

I have fished the Combermere Madawaska river / Lake Kamaniskeg area off and on since 1983. Was last there in 2004.

If you are on the river, close to Lake Kamaniskeg, your best bet is to head onto the big lake. The fishing consists mostly of SMB, but you can get the odd walleye and laker, but in the summer they are not abundantly easy to catch.

The basic idea is to find rocks in the main lake, out by the two islands (Gull and Parcher). Depending on the water levels which are controlled by Ontario Hydro, the rock shoals in front of the islands coming from the river are only a few feet below the surface and are usually marked with jugs. Lots of smallies and rock bass. Worms, minnows and crayfish are usually best.

At the other end of the bay, past the two islands where the Madawaska flows in from Bark lake, drifting worms and minnows right on bottom in 20 -30 ft of water can produce some big smallmouth. There is a shed with a Canadian Flag painted on the door, that we used as a marker point.

At the other end of the river, below Combermere, is Conroy's marsh. Good opportunities for Pike, LMB, Walleye, Smallmouth and numerous panfish.

If you can get your hand on a fishing map of the area (I bought it in Barry's Bay at the bait shop), it would be more than beneficial. It helped me find the area in front of the shed with the flag on it.

I probably sound like a know it all :blahblah1: , but I always enjoyed the area, the fishing, the lake / river etc. There is over 90km of navigable water, just not sure how far you plan on travelling on a pontoon boat.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup_anim:

AC

Hi Brookster,

I have fished the Combermere Madawaska river / Lake Kamaniskeg area off and on since 1983. Was last there in 2004.

If you are on the river, close to Lake Kamaniskeg, your best bet is to head onto the big lake. The fishing consists mostly of SMB, but you can get the odd walleye and laker, but in the summer they are not abundantly easy to catch.

The basic idea is to find rocks in the main lake, out by the two islands (Gull and Parcher). Depending on the water levels which are controlled by Ontario Hydro, the rock shoals in front of the islands coming from the river are only a few feet below the surface and are usually marked with jugs. Lots of smallies and rock bass. Worms, minnows and crayfish are usually best.

At the other end of the bay, past the two islands where the Madawaska flows in from Bark lake, drifting worms and minnows right on bottom in 20 -30 ft of water can produce some big smallmouth. There is a shed with a Canadian Flag painted on the door, that we used as a marker point.

At the other end of the river, below Combermere, is Conroy's marsh. Good opportunities for Pike, LMB, Walleye, Smallmouth and numerous panfish.

If you can get your hand on a fishing map of the area (I bought it in Barry's Bay at the bait shop), it would be more than beneficial. It helped me find the area in front of the shed with the flag on it.

I probably sound like a know it all :blahblah1: , but I always enjoyed the area, the fishing, the lake / river etc. There is over 90km of navigable water, just not sure how far you plan on travelling on a pontoon boat.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup_anim:

AC

Thanks boys, every little bit of info helps. I appreciate all the tips and welcome any more that you guys are willing to give up.

I will give an update when I get back after July 20

Thanks again

B