Visiting from BC

Tim5371

Hi, I do a lot of fly fishing in BC for trout/salmon/steelhead. I'll be heading to a friends cottage at Crystal Lake in the Kawartha Lakes area for the Canada Day long weekend. Is there any fly fishing to be done here? I know that smallmouth on the fly is very popular in rivers, but how about lakes? Can anyone provide me with some advice on what to do, what to use, etc?

Thanks!

Deer-Hair Frogs or Poppers for shallow stump bay Largemouth Bass! 8wt WF8F line & 5 foot mono or fluoro leader of 12#test.

Is "shallow stump bay" an actual bay at the lake? or should I look for a shallow bay with stumps? or both? haha

I'm surprised how short the leader is! we usually use 9-12ft leaders over here.

Any possibility of hitting smallmouth on the fly while on the lake? Or will they be too deep?

You would need about an 8/9 wt rod for most bass, pike and carp fishing here in Ontario. Rod lengths of 8 - 9 feet should suffice. Leaders could range from 6lb test and 10 feet for clear water smallmouth to 12lb test and 4 feet for weedy largemouth fishing. Deerhair poppers, rabbit strip streamers and crayfish imitators are all good for bass. Carp love crayfish and nymphs, and carp on a fly rod provide one of the best fishing experiences one could encouter. They are wary and finicky like a freshwater bonefish and landing one is very rewarding. Don a pair of waders or jump in a float tube and find bays off the main lake with water depths ranging from 3 to 12 feet or more. Thick weedbeds hold largemouth and carp, and the occasional smallmouth, so make sure to use weedless poppers, streamers and bunny strips. Most times though smallies prefer rocky shorelines, dropoffs, points and outside weededges. Weedless flys aren't necessary for smallmouths, but what is necessary is a very strong hookset, because they have a very hard, bony mouth and it can be difficult to get a really good hookset.

Be sure to watch the weather in the Kawarthas area throughout June. If you see a lot of high twenties and thirties a week or two prior to your arrival, you can bet fishing will be tough. Bass will be buried deep in the weeds durnig midday, and smallies will be on deep structure or suspended offshore. Night fishing with surface poppers still remains a viable option though.

Do you have any experience fishing stillwaters in BC?

Edited by BabyHerc

You would need about an 8/9 wt rod for most bass, pike and carp fishing here in Ontario. Rod lengths of 8 - 9 feet should suffice. Leaders could range from 6lb test and 10 feet for clear water smallmouth to 12lb test and 4 feet for weedy largemouth fishing. Deerhair poppers, rabbit strip streamers and crayfish imitators are all good for bass. Carp love crayfish and nymphs, and carp on a fly rod provide one of the best fishing experiences one could encouter. They are wary and finicky like a freshwater bonefish and landing one is very rewarding. Don a pair of waders or jump in a float tube and find bays off the main lake with water depths ranging from 3 to 12 feet or more. Thick weedbeds hold largemouth and carp, and the occasional smallmouth, so make sure to use weedless poppers, streamers and bunny strips. Most times though smallies prefer rocky shorelines, dropoffs, points and outside weededges. Weedless flys aren't necessary for smallmouths, but what is necessary is a very strong hookset, because they have a very hard, bony mouth and it can be difficult to get a really good hookset.

Be sure to watch the weather in the Kawarthas area throughout June. If you see a lot of high twenties and thirties a week or two prior to your arrival, you can bet fishing will be tough. Bass will be buried deep in the weeds durnig midday, and smallies will be on deep structure or suspended offshore. Night fishing with surface poppers still remains a viable option though.

Do you have any experience fishing stillwaters in BC?

thanks for the help, that is a great summary of what I needed to know. I do a lot of stillwater fly fishing for trout here in BC, as we have the famous kamloops trout. It is quite common to have multiple hookups with 5lb trout within a few hours. The rainbows get up to 25lbs in our local lakes - I just need to catch one :wallbash:

I'm really looking forward to trying something new, thanks again for your help :thumbsup_anim:

By the way, if you are in Toronto at anytime, check out Wilson's fly shop on Front St East or the White River fly shop at Bass Pro Shops in Vaughan for more local information.

Edited by BabyHerc