Constance Bay/Buchams on the Ottawa

Sunday morning Eric and I head out on what looks like to be the best weather day we have fished on in a long long time. Usually for us it is raining, or cold or very windy or a combination of all three.

We launched at Buchams and headed around to Constance Bay in search of pike. The water was glass and it was warming up rapidly. We reached our usual spot that we fish and within 20 minutes we had 4 pike in the boat and lost two. Sorry we didnt take any pics, the fish were not huge, probably in the 2 to 4 lb range. We decided to try and find bigger ones by trolling but didnt have much luck.

We took a breather and headed to shore and had a visit with Steve (troutnmuskiehunter). Good to see you and talk with you Steve and man you have a really sweet place.

Around three we headed back out and trolled, we got two more little guys and I lost one. We decided to head into the creek to have a look around, there were 4 other boats in there and we never realized how far in you could go. I didnt fish in there but Eric did get one small pike.

After a bit of touring around in there we decided to head back out and try our luck in the main bay. It seems what we were doing was not working so I suggested we go back around to the Buchams side and troll there for a while and it seems this was a good choice. The sonar was full of fish, in fact I have never seen this many fish holding in this area before.

It didnt take long and my rod doubles over, as I am fighting this fish Eric gets on on, double header. I get mine in and it is the biggest pike of the day at around 5 lbs and Eric brings in the first Eye of the day.

We trolled for about another 45 min. in total we got 5 eyes and two pike.

So for the day we ended up with 12 pike and 5 eyes. Not bad considering we didnt catch anything for about a 3 to 4 hour stretch. Funny how they just shut down like that sometimes.

Here is a pic of the pike and eye we got at the same time, it seems Eric didnt get the whole pike in the pic and I dont normally use the grippers to hold fish with but I wanted to put them back in a hurry so its easier to hold an eye than a pike sometimes. To bad about the pike getting cut off, it had some nice colour. Hopefully next time out we will get some better pics.

IMG_2564.jpg

Here is Eric with one of his eyes.

IMG_2566.jpg

Not the best report but hey, its a report and I got to go fishing. :wink:

Sorry can't help you with the area. Most of my big pike came from targetting other game. Try walleye or lake trout fishing and you'll get into some big pike..lol. Point being, from my persoanl experience only however, I find most bigguns stay down there and need some loud, wobbly inticement. Deep diving raps, like the new xrap shad, should be a good choice.

Good looking fish, thanks for sharing.

reefrunner