Steelhead Win, For Now...

kemper

Went steelheading today, and after the first few hours of nothing the fishing picked up for a short period of time. In total today I saw 3 fish landed, and heard of 5 others being caught, one of which was a massive hen that must have given the guy some battle. I drifted a pool that I knew had been worked hard all morning, but the creek was low and its one of the few deep spots. First drift I hooked into what would have been my personal best steelhead. Not expecting a steelhead of that size (12 poundsish) this time of year (ROOKIE) I was a little worried about my 4 pound test leader, and I was right to be worried. I was doing as CC said and "bass fishing" them, right up close to the sticks and logs and crap. The fish hit like a ton of bricks and after battling it for a while it took one more run towards the log jam and the 4 lb test just couldnt handle it. Boy was I shaken up, I hate loosing big fish like that! In the next half an hour I lost 2 more fish, and a guy that I was fishing with for a while (never got the name, possibly an OFNer) had missed a few as well. After the quick flurry of action there was nothing for another 2 hours, when the city decided it was a good day to drive the backhoes into the creek and trample my pool. Tried to fish around all the crap for a while, but when a basketball drifted by, I decided id had enough and went home. All in all an exciting outing, and maybe ill actually land one of these buggeres soon, Ive been in a drought for a while now!

Don't be afraid to size up to 6lb line when you are fishing the timber like that. You can get away with it in stained water, but if it is clear you will have to go with 6lb fluorocarbon.

Seaguar or Maxima fluoro are the best products out there right now.

Cheers,

Tony

WELL GOOD TO HEAR YA ATLEAST HOOKED INTO A FEW BRO!!!

WELCOME TO OSHAWA WHERE THE TRASH IS PLENTYFUL!!

THATS NOT A BASKETBALL EITHER!! THATS AN OSHAWA REDNECK FLOAT LOL

GUMP CALLED ME AND SAID HE GOT A HEN AROUND 15LBS!! THAT MIGHT OF BEEN THE ONE YA HEARD OF!!!

WELL RAIN COMIN SO LETS HOPE ON SOME MORE DIRTY WATERS!!!

Definatly was, I saw talked to him in passing while he was holding the fish, a beauty for sure! Very clean.