Vermillion Lake - Sioux Lookout

fishman1023

On June 18 I am taking my son and two grandsons to Lake Vermillion near Sioux Lookout. This area may be out of most of the members fishing area but if any one has fished there I would appreciate any info on the area. We are staying at Country Camping and Cabins on the east end of Botham Bay. Is that bay going to give us plenty of fish or do we need to travel to the larger part of the lake. Of course we want to catch as many of every type of fish that we can. Mainly looking for Walleyes, some Northerns and maybe Smallmouth if they are in the area. Are there Muskies? If so, we may try for them for a short time. Need to keep the young grandsons into fish if possible.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Ron

I've never fished Vermilion, but I have fished the area. No musky. Lots of walleye and pike. Must be bass, but I've never fished for or caught any up there. They'll take just about whatever you throw at them.

I have fished both lakes.

Big Vermilion: Lots of small mouth bass hit along any of the islands in shallow with little Mepps Spinners or tube jigs, especially in the morning and boom you are good to go. Northern pike as well most everywhere and muskies too. Middle of the lake in the deep trough, their are lake trout. Have to go deep in summer but can be caught. Big Vermilion has a bait ban so please check before heading out on the lake. Not sure if there are any walleyes in the lake. Never caught one.

Little Vermilion: Smallies as well, no walleyes, pike and muskies. Can take the creek into the Muskie Sanctuary to Muskie Lake and get muskies there. Be advised there are special rules for your hooks in the sanctuary.

At Fred and Dee's gas station on the corner of the highway to Sioux and the highway to Hudson, you can get maps of each lake. I would advise you do as they show the travel routes etc.

If you have your own boat you can go to Minnitaki or Lac Seul for walleyes. if you don't have your own boat, you can go to Frog Rapids just before Sioux Lookout and fish from shore there. As you are going up to Sioux Lookout, on your left hand side as you cross a bridge you will see a lot of white cabins etc. That is an outfitter. On the right hand side you will see a parking area. Bridge is over Frog Rapids.

Edited by JohnAB