Walleye spinner, best knot to use?

young_one

Went to Bass Pro after dropping of the boat for maintance, and bought a few things for Walleye opener.

Plan to tie a couple double hook spinners while I wait. :)

QUESTION:

Should I use a combanation of size 2 and 4 hooks or same size for front and back?

Should the red hook be placed at the front?

Which knot is the best for front? Back?

Leader length?

Befor, I use a Parlomar knot at the back, and a simple wrap at the front, but I find the Parlomar knot never keeps the hook perfectly strait.

n505661706_785425_2334.jpg

- couple Calorado blades

- beads

- size 2 and 4 hooks

- PLine 15lb (never tried this, looks pretty good, had a smaller Diameter than Basspro fluor and teh New Trilene 100% fluor)

It looks like you got some good stuff there, but, and theres always a but. I make spinners as a business and I rarely use a #4 hook. I think they are too small and too easy to swallow. if you plan on releasing the fish the #4 hooks go too far down the throat and when removed slice the fish's liver and other organs. the fish dies so the release was a waste of fish.

When I tie spinners, I use 25 pound trilene xl for the strength and abrasion resistance that comes from bouncing on the bottom. To get the length I want I just hold the line and measure up to my shoulder and cut it that size. when it is finished there is about a 30 inch leader.

I use a 2/0 hook with a medium to long shank, depending on the minnow size that will be used.

I will use 5 4mm beads and then a #2 clevis to put the blade on.

Everyone has their own method of tying the hook onto the line but I find that it doesn't matter if it is perfectly straight since the spinner causes the minnow to spin in the water anyway.

Hope this helps.

To save me typing all this over again and sounding like a broken record - check out how these guys tie spinners as they fish for a living.

Spinners 101

Forgot to add the knot I use...it is a quick snell that I like using in the boat, you can tie spinners fast once you get the hang of this simple snell.

Tying%20Harness.jpg

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

Thanks grt1,

Its always great to get the response from the pro, like yourself, who make spinners as a business.

Right after posting this Topic, I also went through the internet and many spinners seem to be tied with the Snell Knot, took me a while to learn it, but now I got it. Look just like the knot from pre-tied spinners. With the extra wrap on the shank, I'm sure it'll help nighcrawlers to stay on the hook.

I'll definitely tie a few spinner with the leader length you suggested, I think it can make a big difference!