trolling motor help

addict

just came back from cabelas with basskicker,cool store.got a minnkota maxum 70 bowmount not sure how to hook this baby up got 2 wires coming out of the foot control one black one red and black.im assuming ill need to get extra wire solder together and run them to the back of the boat and connect them in series not sure what gauge of wire to use and do i need an inline fuse the instructions are vauge can any of u guys share some input it would be greatly apprecieated.

Get yourself a 40-50 amp in-line circuit breaker with a reset switch on it instead of a fuse it will save you time and hassle, if it blows you just press a little button to reset it. I know motor guide sells them or maybe a marina/boat shop.

I can't remember the gage of my cable, but it's super thick much thicker than the red and black on the motor, (thicker the better, think it's 16-20 gauge) get it a Canadian Tire, you just need enough two go from one battery to the other, there already made up in 1,2,3,4 or 6 feet ect with the ends on them in the car section and they might even have the little circuit breakers there too.

So get a breaker, put it on the positive (red) cable on your motor, than you'll need a tiny piece from that to the battery or just put the breaker directly on the positive of one battery. So hook a thick cable connecting the two batteries one on the Positive and one on the Negative of the second battery, than put the motor cables on, black/Negative on one battery red/Positive on the other battery.

Now there are many different ways if you want to hook on/off switches and on-board battery chargers, but I just go directly and charge my batteries at home.

It will mater where your putting the batteries in you boat, if you'll have to extend the cables on the motor or not. Remember you need deep cycle batteries too, don't use you starter battery for the trolling motor.

Edited by GbayGiant