Long Point Bay Ice DONE

Rich

Sleded and I headed out of St Williams for one last crack at the perch yesterday. Coming down the hill we saw two huge open spots, one northeast of St Williams and one south of St Williams that stretched about 2 miles out.

Ice at the shoreline was slushy white ice and no more than 1 - 2 inches. We found an access point (traversed a plank to safer ice) and got out about a quarter mile to six inches of old ice. This stuff didn't feel safe and it certainly wasn't worth it for the 10 or so keepers we caught. Did have an encounter with a small pike which was cool.

When we got back, Sleded fell through before he got to the plank as the ice had warmed throughout the day. It was only to his waste so he was okay. There was a CO down there to check licenses but I think he was there more to make sure people got off the ice okay. There was some crazy people about 3 miles out who were still out when we got off. I hope they got back alive.

I'm sad to see the ice go, but welcoming the spring season at the same time with open arms.

This was a scary ice fishing trip and I won't ever risk it again.

S4022446.jpg

S4022448.jpg

You can see the spot Sleded fell through

S4022449.jpg

Short video:

http://vid93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/Bi...ch/S4022451.flv

Edited by Rich

Glad to see you two guys made it back to shore safley.Maybe a little wet and a little wiser.This time of year you are better off on shore then on ice that is very unstable.Glad your o.k and maybe we will run into you guys on the Grand for some of that catfish fun.

Dan