Charleston Lake Provincial Park

kennyman

Hi, I'll be booking our July family vacation next week (yes,it's that time already) and I think I've decided on Charleston PP. Any help with preferred sites (electrical ........yes we're wusses) would be a great help as well as any fishing advice (spots,lure/bait choice etc.) . I'd like to catch some big smallies and a couple monster pike would be nice too. I'm hoping a bunch of you have camped/fished here. How's the beach by the way? You don't have to post your answers if you're shy, a pm would be great too. Thanks guys.

While this is my neighborhood, I am not an expert. I believe there is only one area to camp at Charlston with hook ups. Not a bad area. Nice big areas to camp. The pay boat ramp is not far from there. I believe it is free if you are camping as you have park access. This is also gets you close to some good spots.

There is also a nice hiking trail there and other things to check out. The beach is nice and big, with the swim area cut off to boat traffic.

Another place to check out is KOA campground at Ivy Lea. This is right on the St. Lawrence River. It's also right across the road from a great tackle shop (not that I ever go there :whistling: ). From here you can go straight up the road to Charleston Lake and use the free boat ramp. Get there early as the Wakeboard and ski boats usually take over the parking lot around 10.

Thanks Scott (aka Cranks Bait). There seems to be three different areas,Shady Ridge,Bayside and Meadowlands all with electrical sites. I was hoping to find someone that's actually been there that would give me the scoop on which area was nicest and even a site that they liked (if they're willing to share that info). Great info on the beach Scott. That makes me more comfortable for sure. Sounds like the kids would love it. Keep the replies coming guys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, good info on the bait/tackle shop. That'll definetely come in handy. What's the name of it? How far is that?

I've only car camped there once so I can't really comment on what is better. It's pretty much a big trailer park style campground. I would say get a site close to the washrooms/showers, but in in the route of everyone else. During the time you are planning to go, it will probably be packed with people. Close to the water is nice too. If you are able to bring your bikes to get around the grounds that would make life easier. You are not aloud to bike on the trails though.

The big hiking trail is great. It has a few boardwalks and bridges over a bay that is nice for canoeing. The kids will really like it. As for the best campsites, they are on the trail system right on the water. You have to either hike or boat to get to those ones though, and there is no power.

The tackle/bait shop (and small general store) is St. Lawrence Outfitters (formerly known as Cast and Blast) (phone 613-659-3020). They are located right on the corner of the 1000 Island Parkway and Reynolds road in Lansdowne. From the main park they are about half an hour? Driving on the Parkway is a lot nicer than the 401 or Hwy. 2.

I'm not sure I liked the "it will probably be packed with people", but as long as it's not cramped I guess I'll be okay. Hopefully most of them don't fish :Gonefishing:. When we went to Sandbanks there were a ton of people there, but the place is so huge you didn't really notice. Same with the Pinery, it didn't seem packed and they had most of the 1000 campsites full (yes 1000,really). Wow, Cranks Bait,WOW, a half hour to the tackle shop,you are dedicated! There has to be one closer than that? Has nobody from this site ever fished there?

Living in the area I can tell you that you've made an excellent choice.

As far as picking a site...you won't find many bad ones at Charleston, it is the best park I've ever camped at including Sandbanks and a dozen others.

As far as the fishing goes, the smallies can be great! and the largies as well but are a bit tougher to find on this deep lake. Big Pike are in there but tougher to find.

The lake is loaded with stocked lakers, and with downriggers can result in a great morning fish everyday.

The beaches are awesome, the water is clean and the fish bite.

Enjoy your vacation.

RJ

I've stayed at Bon Echo before Mike and it was nice. It was a pretty short stay though. I wrote about it last year. Here's part of what I wrote: We also went to Bon Echo last year. I have a funny story about that. We were going to spend two days at Bon Echo (all we could get on our schedule) and then continue up to Murphy's Point for the rest of the week. Well, my wife is soooo organized usually I trust her explicitly. She keeps everything and I mean everything in our lives on time. The kids school trips,homework,dance lessons and competitions,swimming lessons, she works and takes care of the housework and somehow finds time to volunteer at our local conservation area every Wednesday and at the kids school on a regular basis. She's basically Superwoman (is this normal?). Anyway,this woman who could run a small country on her own,me and my two kids get into Bon Echo a little later than we would have liked to. We were getting rained on during the drive and it was nice enough to let up for a little while so at least we weren't setting up our new trailer for the first time in the pouring rain. It was around supper when we got done, but we had a great evening on a beautiful site with a campfire,marshmallows,weiners ...... life was good. We get up in the morning and have a blueberry pancake breakfast and decide to go for a paddle in the canoe. The view is breathtaking. If anyone here has not been to this park,make a point to do so. So back to our canoe ride. We canoe across Mazinaw to the Cliff Top Trail, which is a nice little hike complete with gorgeous views and blueberry bushes along the way. This was a wonderful memorable morning. A couple or three hours later we're back at the parking area where I'm loading the canoe on the roof of my Pathfinder when a park "ranger" (who was waiting for us to return apparently)asks if we're from site so and so. We reply yes and he says you better get back to the site and pack,the people are waiting for it. Now, we tell him we're booked in for two nights and we'll show him the paperwork. He follows us back to the site and sure enough, we had the dates mixed up ( I couldn't believe it,my wife,messing up dates!!?). We had to pack up immediately!Kudos to the ranger, he was great about the whole thing and found it quite humorous I think. We did so as fast as we could and got on our way to Murphy's point where we had to set up in the dark. That is an absolute joy when your a complete novice. I was not a "happy camper" ... pun intended. This was our first venture into camping and hadn't exactly gone as planned. We laughed about this crazy morning all week and it gave me something to bug my wife about for quite a while. I'm sure everytime I arrive at a campground I'll bug her about it for years to come.Somehow,out of all that we still had a great time. Anyway,enough but I thought some of you would find it funny,especially the campers here. So any Mike, go it's beautiful,just get the dates right LOL. ;)

Edited by kennyman

Hi KennyMan

I used to camp in Charleston PP a fair bit (till I moved near there). There are very few poor sites in the Park and most are a good size and fairly protected from your neighbour.

The Provincial park website description of sites is pretty good.

As noted , the beaches are nice (there are 2, 1 day use and 1 campers), the day use is better.

The bay the beaches are in a motor boat free zone and is great for canoes.

After work I'll check my park map for sites that I checked off as preffered.

You definitly want to book early here , It fills up realy fast (like Bon ECHO).

AS RJ noted the smallies can be great, Lakers can be found not far from the boat launch.

Thanks to everyone who replied,but especially Dartee. Wow! I can't tell you how much he's helping me. Way above and beyond the call of duty :worthy: . It's incredible how well he knows this park !! Here's hoping I catch some fish now. Thanks again. Added note: FYI I just booked in at the park for our July holidays. Thanks again everyone.

Edited by kennyman