NF - Accident in my backyard at 3AM

SlowPoke

You know that uneasy feeling you get when you get home from work and your house is surrounded by cops, fire trucks and an ambulance? Fortunately (for me) it was on the street behind my house. I pulled in the driveway and my wife was waiting for me at the door. She was awaken by the sound of thunder and a flash lightning - or in this case, the sound of mid-size car snapping a hydro pole off at the ground and the flash of hydro wires contacting eachother.

How fast do you have to go to snap a hydro pole off at the ground and leaving the top 10' or so still connected to hydro lines?

DSC01418.jpg

The pole was erected behind my neighbours yard and the broken section is resting peacefully behind my yard. The car came to rest probablly 200' past the pole in a deep drainage ditch.

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

Sorry about the poor images... my "good" camara is undergoing a factory recall.

I don't know the condition of the driver but it appears he "walked away" because from my wife's vantage point from the bedroom window she noticed the medics were checking somebody and then left. I believe the driver may have still been on scene because I saw a non-cop collecting contents before the wrecker took off.

Wow Brian...it used to be the problems would happen to you...now they come to you!!!

Hope the driver is ok...just because they walk away doesn't mean they are not hurt pretty badly. It's amazing what shock can do to your system. Happened to my brother...someone hit him, he got out of the car, got all mad that the guy hit his new car. The guy came over and told him to sit down, but he wouldn't because he was looking at the damage. After the cops and the ambulance arrived, my brother noticed he had to keep wiping his eyes...he cut hit head and the blood kept going in his eyes. Shortly after that, he collapsed. He was fine, but that adrenaline and shock kept him going for a while before it wore off.

Anyhow, the pics were pretty good considering they are night shots.