Rod/reel help for laker/whities on Simcoe

Beats

I'm looking for advice for a rod/reel purchase for lake trout and whitefish on Simcoe. I currently have 2 ultralight setups for perch but have nothing as far as the bigger fish go. I'm planning on fashioning one of those "tip-up sticks" for one of my lines for use with a spreader but would like a rod and reel for jigging as well. Any recommendations as far as rod strength/action would be great. As well, what style of reel would work best?

Also, anyone know of a website/video online that shows how to make one of those "tip-up sticks" and set it up properly? I've seen people use them in magazines and in videos but never experienced it myself. I am more just concerned that I would make one with bad dimensions that wouldn't balance right. Would you use the same line on a tip-up as on your jigging rod?

Thanks.

Guest gbfisher

Its is all up to the person and how they fish. I know some who use a stick. Some who use a light rod.(perch rod with 4 lb test) BOTH do very well with either set up on any size fish. I use PowerPro with a floro leader with rods in the medium range for both spoon fishing or with a Meegs/badboy/humpback creeper/shoal digger.....

You don't need bait on Simcoe to do well. Tip ups work and are cheap but as I say. Bait is not needed. One reason I do not use a tip up.

I think one day soon we won't be able to use live or dead bait on many lakes if any at all. So learning how not to use bait would be in your best interest.

Hope this helps. Good luck out there WHEN we get some ice.