Rapala DT-4

bassjnkie

I want to use them(for bass) with a spinning reel since there small baits. What Lb test/diam. should I use, I like braided lines with flouro leaders, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanx in advance,

Daniel

OCH

Edited by Ontariocarper

I Use abrasion-resistant lines testing at least 10 to 12 pounds with shallow runners, as most times Im fishing just over the tops of heavy weeds and you will need to be able to pull fish out of them. The new super-strong braided lines are ideal for this application, provided the water is stained (they're more visible than mono lines). Most weekend bassers are shocked to learn that tournament pros routinely fish shallow cranks on 20- and 25-pound line. Besides offering increased abrasion resistance, heavy line makes these baits run even shallower -- nice to know when crankin' cover that almost kisses the surface.

Some guys also use a glass rod, softer action prevents the hooks from tearing out as easily. I didn`t use braid, just didn`t see a clear need for it for bass. Never had a problem with hook sets or feel for the most part. The stretch of mono also can help.

A lot depends on the cover for the line, sparse weeds you can get by with lighter line weeds and wood go heavier. Captain Bruce is right with the line diameter sort of a fine tuning for location an depth, light line deeper heavy line will let the lure run shallower. Then there is always changing to the lure(tool) that fits the intended job. Manns shallow runners worked for me.

Most of the time I was fishing out of a boat with a bow mount electric, if it got dicey I moved in to pull the fish out. From shore your options diminish. Used small shad raps (size 3?) Storm wee warts a lot, big fish will take small lures.

Right now I am using a shimano clarus light action fast baitcasting rod, 14# line, and a daiwa baitcaster. I use this for topwater (skitterprop) and small crankbaits. The topwater, 1/4oz, I can get a great distance, but the small cranks I don't, so I was thinking I have to use a spinning outfit fot the cranks.

OR, should I buy a glass baitcasting rod?

Confused???? :wallbash::stretcher::blink::dunno:

Daniel

OCH

You should have no problem throwing a dt-4 with your setup , turn your brakes down maybe . I chose line dia. to match condishions ( cover thikness visabilty) and to fine turn depth i.e. (heaveyer the line the shallower the lure runs)not for casting distince . Im not sure about this as I dont use any brakes on my baitcasters just my thumb and remove and turn off any braking so the spool spins free and have no problem throwing dt-4s , wigglr worts and such on 25 pound power pro with a medium action rod .Found that after hours of untangling bird nests I finally learned how to use my thumb (did I say hours make it weeks) . My son and I used to get strange looks and many hows the fishing getting any bites when we would spend hours throwing hookless cranks to hoops and flower pots we would set up in the park on the baseball feild pratice and more pratice, nows a good time with the ice not good and no open water fishing .

I have a casting rod that will throw the DT-4, but I often fish it on a spinning rod with 10 pound Power Pro.

I don't think line visibility is much of an issue, since my line is the diameter of 2 pound mono.

The other thing is a crankbait is a moving target, it's an active fish, reaction type strike.

The DT-6 I throw with a Loomis crankbait rod and 20 or 30 pound braid, again I don't believe line visibility is an issue with Crankbaits.

Years ago we caught these same fish on black Cotton line that was the diameter of Butcher's string!

Garry2rs