Nipissing ice conditions?????

fishingguy28

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knew a recent update on nipissing ice conditions... i'm supposed to be going there on friday for 2 nights..... man i hope its ok, i have been looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to a buddy yesterday on Temagami and he said that they have stopped driving their vehicles on the ice as of Sunday, but were still using sleds and ATV's on the ice......PLAY SAFE!!

Yep ice road from the mine landing to Bear Island is closed to all vehicle traffic. Sleds/Atv's only now...Nip was frozen long before the hub of Lake Temagami though...so Nipissing may be in better shape but I doubt it.

I'd be calling your hut operator that you are heading to, or one real close to where you are going if you are not using one.

He is an operator. Apparently he got off the trail in the fog and went through. In my opinion he shouldn't have taken that truck out there. Its a large truck with a diesel engine. Too heavy. Unfortunate but I'm glad he's OK, he's a good fellow. The ice never did get too good in the area he went down. There was quite a bit of snow around the islands during the cold and prevented good ice formation.

I would suggest contacting your outfitter, some have cancelled for the week.

It has been raining for about 48 hrs here and the snow is going fast.

On the bright side, the temp. is dropping, flurries outside with 5cm of snow predicted.

Last Friday there was 20cm of good ice in the mouth of the French River, with 30cm in many areas.

I wont be out this weekend, but I live here so I can wait for another weekend.

Good luck

The ice conditions at the West end of Nipissing are horrible.......!

There is absolutely no one out on the ice today. (Normally this time of the year there can be at least 50 cars parked by the bridge... accessing the lake).

Creeks are flowing at higher than normal spring run off levels... and large leads are opening up on the lake......

The weather is still above the freezing point here....

My quess is we need at least a week of cold weather before ice is safe to travel on again......

Stay dry all........!

the cap't.